Friday, November 26, 2010

Day after Thanksgivings' Past

I use to partake in the Black Friday outings but back in my younger days, stores didn't open much earlier than 6 a.m. In fact, it wasn't known as anything more than "The Day After Thanksgiving". I don't know when this formal name for the day came to be. I remember my dad and I always got up and went out. I don't remember hitting many stores other than Sears and the bakery on the way home. When we got home with the donuts, the other half of the family was typically still sleeping.

After my dad died in 1997, I've gone out with various family members - my cousin, my older brother, my younger brother, Big A or even just by myself. I've even done the day after early morning shopping spree in Pasadena, CA and Keller, TX. I remember the sun rising over the parking lot at the Mervyn's store (which has since closed and has been transformed into a Whole Foods) as me and my younger brother stood outside for the doors open only to get the Frosty the Snowman bobble head. I still have that bobble head and display it every year as my extremities remember the cold of that morning.

This year, I didn't go out. Mostly because there really isn't any extra fundage, no longer are there cool door prizes like the Frosty bobble head, and also because I don't want that cheap no-name flat screen TV or laptop for $250. I would rather spend a bit more on a TV or laptop that is well reviewed by such entities as Consumer Reports and is worth the extra money. Obviously from the people camping out at Best Buy last night, I'm in the minority.

Next year though, I plan on being out there with the rest of them to just enjoy the ambiance...or spending a mere $15 for a panini maker at Kohls at 3 a.m.

8 comments:

sage said...

I went out one morning, a dozen years ago, and will never do that again! Did go out this year to buy a tree--a fake tree--but after my daughter funked her allergy tests this fall, real trees are out. :(

Anonymous said...

For several years now, my "Black Friday" has consisted of me, my Amex card and a computer keyboard in the safety and comfort of my own home. I have no more desire to dress up like this, in order to "soften up" the crowds, so that I can buy my wife some new housecleaning appliance to put under the tree.

< /tongue in cheek >

More power to you.

Cheers.

Murf said...

Sage - Aren't there drugs that she can take for that? :-)

R. - So you are a premature Cyber Monday shopper, eh? You're more useful than you think. You could have been her 'save the spot in line' person as she runs around the store getting all her goodies as well as pack mule for all the bags of goodies.

Ed said...

I'm with Randall.

I'm also with you on the saving up to buy a real tv and not one of those junk ones you get in a box store.

I'm really bah humbug this time of year. I'm counting the days until January 2nd!

Murf said...

What's January 2nd? The day all of this hullabaloo is officially over?

TC said...

I went with my Mom. I wished I'd slept instead.

We got up at 3 a.m. Only to find out the stuff we wanted to get - that wasn't supposed to go on sale until 5 a.m. - actually started getting "vouchers" at 2 a.m. UGH.

She got some good deals, though. She was buying my nephew a DS for his birthday, and saved $40 on that alone.

My only "doorbuster" was a $5 item. Go me. That's really worth getting up at 3 a.m. for.

TC said...

This reminds me though, of when my friend Ivan was here a couple years ago (http://travelingchica.blogspot.com/2006/11/this-meeting-will-now-come-to-order.html).

Tag and I were going to skip Black Friday, but he INSISTED on going out with us. He just HAD to partake in this American tradition.

I think when he started taking photos of the women in line at the mall we were lucky we didn't get shot.

Ed said...

Yep. Jan 2 to mid march or so is a time to hibernate, read a lot of books and be bored at home!