Monday, August 8, 2011

More of Murf's Facebook Adventures

Most recent un-Facebook friending: My aunt. It was heading in that direction but I finally had reached my limit. She originally had un-Facebook friended me a year ago over a video that I had posted that was funny that she didn't find funny. She then felt she was missing out on my Murf-ness I guess and added me back as a friend. I let her simmer before I finally accepted though. This time around, it was a culmination of a lot of things - lack of seeing me in person mainly. She drives by and see's my brother and sister-in-law quite often. I guess 30 minutes is too far for her. I decided that I had my fill and that if she wants to know me, she can e-mail me since she is now computer literate. She doesn't get the ease of knowing me and what is going on in my life via Facebook. I also didn't really like her 'carpet matches the drapes' comment that she left to one of my status updates. I'm all for double entendres but you have to know the time and place to use them. That wasn't it and I told her as much. She couldn't believe anyone would find that offensive.


Most recent Facebook friending: Mr. Connell, my band teacher from grades 5-8! I had looked for him sporadically since I joined Facebook but never found him. I got lucky over the weekend. In the friend request, I asked if this was my favorite band teacher. His response on my Facebook page was 'Is this my favorite cornet player?' That is probably a bit much. I use to always like to linger in the middle of the cornet/trumpet section. I had zero urge to be first chair. I actually had zero urge to be in the band but it was a family requirement up through 10th grade. I met it and then I quit. During the time I was in band with him, I remember feeling a bit awkward and bashful around him. It's hard to know if I had a crush on him or if it was just me 'coming of age' and realizing he's a guy.

Since I found him on Facebook, I had the urge to go through my old junior high yearbooks. I can't think of junior high without thinking of the true (very unrequited on his part) love of my life - James Sandlin. It's probably just as well that he basically ignored me. He turned out to be a huge burn out in high school, got held back a time or two, and went on to be arrested in Kentucky a few years ago for 'ethnic intimidation' for getting into a fight with a black, off duty policeman in a bar with a few of his friends. I found all this online during one of my random Google searches for him. He seems to have disappeared again though. Below is a shot of our 8th grade band's Spring concert (which I always enjoyed thanks to the natural light coming through all the gym windows...which are now boarded up, I think) with Mr. Connell doing his thing at the front, me doing my thing in the middle and, as I had dreamt at the time, James sitting with the chorus (I'm pretty sure he lip synched) watching me.

Names and arrows courtesy of me circa 1985. I also drew hearts around his actual yearbook picture in 7th grade but no one needs to see that.

7 comments:

Ed said...

I'm sure you must have lots of good things happen due to Facebook but only post about the not so good things. Reading through the past dozen posts about Facebook, I'm not sure why anyone would have an account.

So looking at the picture and reading about the heart that surrounds James in an unpublished picture, all I can say is you are one of those people... Another reason to be glad you don't have a picture of me. It would probably have my eyes gouged out and all kinds of pins sticking in it. ;)

Murf said...

Oh now Ed, this is how sweet young girls roll when it comes to guys they have a crush on. Well, at least in 1985. Who knows what they do when Lil' Abbey 'comes of age'. You might wish is was only hearts around a yearbook picture

As for the photo of you, never. Well maybe that one time it would have been gouged out but then I would have just reprinted it because I would have saved the .jpg image once I liked you again. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not on Facebook, so I don't have to respond to those sorts of requests. Life is much less complicated that way.

Cheers.

Bone said...

I realized I had gotten de-friended the other day. A girl I'd only met once. But she friended me!

Apparently though, my sporadic-once-every-six-weeks status updates just wasn't satisfying her needs.

Love the yearbook pic with accompanying arrows. Almost makes me want to pull out one of my old yearbooks.

Almost.

Murf said...

Come on, Bone. Do it. All the cool kids are. ;-)

Jeff said...

maybe I should prempt you and write a blog post about you defriending me on FB :)

Murf said...

Sorry Sage, you're a keeper.