Thursday, April 26, 2012

Murf and one of her pet peeves

I took this week off of work which happened to coincide with my most hated work holiday of them all - Take Your Child To Work Day. Somehow what started as probably an idea with good intentions behind it has been ruined,as with many intentions before and since. Ruined how, you wonder? By people bringing in their grandkids or their nieces and nephews.

Sure, most people would automatically jump to the 'Uncontrollable kids' answer but rambunctious kids is part of the 'appeal' of this day - the running in the hallway, the loud talking, a kid playing around in my beloved single seater bathroom, etc. It's more of a pet peeve of mine when my 60 year old coworker brings in her 15 year old granddaughter who obviously showed interest in going purely to get out of school for the day - not to mention this girl along with her older sister are going through custody issues with their parents - enough so that Child Protective Services are involved and possible foster care in their future. If anyone needs to be in school to break this chain, it's her.

Along those same lines is another coworker who doesn't have kids so she brings in her sister's two or three kids. If their view of bonding with their grandkids or nieces and nephews is having them do 7 hours of filing followed by an ice cream party where they get "certificates", that's a sad thing. Normally I make a point of being at Take Your Child To Work Day purely as a preventive measure from kids jacking up my work area and more importantly, the chair that took me 3 weeks to get just right. However, I did lock up one set of my drawers that contained important things like my Twilight movie magnets and my colored pencils.

While complaining about this to Big A once I remembered what today was, he alluded to the fact that perhaps I've turned into an old fart. I wonder if my next step will be yelling at kids walking in my grass.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I take my kids to work, it's for work, like sealing the parking lot or moving old files to the basement. They hate it.

Yours in Method to the Madness,

Cheers.

Ed said...

I have never worked someplace where anyone took their kids to work to celebrate this day. Perhaps it is due to my profession. It sounds like it is a perk to being an engineer.

sage said...

I took my dog to work today! But then, I am generally off on Fridays and had to come in for a bit in the afternoon and I dressed as if I was off!

Murf said...

Ed - Don't be so sure about that. Your boss/owner probably isn't aware of this little holiday. Just wait until someone comes in from 'the outside' that has participated. Buahahahahaha....

Bone said...

They did this on an episode of The Office and it seemed to work out well. I don't see why real life should be any different.

We did have a lady whose son walked in during our weekly meeting one time with the family dog. And left the dog. It was, uh, interesting.

TC said...

I love that you locked up your Twilight magnets :)

We were at the beach not long ago, talking about how nice it was that it was cloudy because it kept all the obnoxious people away. A few hours later, an old couple set up camp next to us and the boyfriend said, "This must be old people's day at the beach. They figure there won't be any kids around so they should come while they can." I reminded him that we had said something similar a few hours earlier and he replied "OH, I was counting us as old people, too."

TC said...

Not an hour after I left that comment, I got an email from AARP. ugh.

Murf said...

Holy shnikeys! Do I know you? ;-)