Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2012 New Years Resolution in Review

My goal for 2012 was to try to embrace cooking if not at least as much as I enjoy baking than at least embrace it more than I had been.  My goal was to cook 1 thing every month out of the 4 magazine's that I subscribe to:  Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, Good Housekeeping, Southern Living and Midwest Living.

This worked well until spring arrived and 3 out of the 4 magazines had more about gardening than they did about food.  As I struggled to find something out of each of the magazines, I realized I was just making something to be making something.  Not really what my goal was for.  Eventually I revised it and made things that actually looked good and could be something that we would like albeit a main dish, side dish, or a dessert and also subsidized with more new recipes from the cookbooks that I already own or from the back of the shredded mozzarella cheese bag.  

Along the way, I kept track of it on Facebook in my '2012 Culinary Adventures' album.   Here are some of the highlights (and low lights):

Pioneer Woman's Tres Leches Cake: a definite highlight!

Good Housekeeping's Cuban Steak and Beans: Another definite highlight if you like beans and can do this on a real grill.

Southern Living's King Ranch Mac & Cheese:  A triple highlight and the reason why we bought Sam's Club boxes of Velveeta for this winter!

Good Housekeeping's Pepperoni Pizza Pull:  A semi-highlight.  Loved the cheesey bread but it had a bit too much pepperoni in it. 

Betty Crocker's Chicken Pot Pie Cupcakes:  A low light.  Cute as a button but a little to 'processed' for my informal goal of eating better due to the recipe calling for the use of Potato Buds and Progresso Chicken Pot Pie soup.

Good Housekeeping's Smothered Pork Chops: A highlight!

Southern Living's Blueberry Fields salad:  A highlight when blueberries are in season. 

QVC's In the Kitchen With David's Mac & Cheese: a surprising low light.  Not sure exactly what was wrong with it but with all the cream and whole milk, I did learn that I may be lactose intolerant at those high levels. 

Whole Foods' Chicken, Kalamata Olive and Roasted  Red Pepper Tart: A highlight!  We keep this handy for those Meatless Monday's that actually can stay meatless. 

On tap for 2013:  mastering the art of a crab cake!


6 comments:

sage said...

Wow, I didn't know eatin' was that good on your side of the mitt...

Murf said...

This is how we roll in the SE quadrant!

TC said...

Those all look pretty good!

Ed said...

That was an excellent goal and one I think I should try out. I find myself surrounded by new recipes in books, newspapers and ones that I have already copied down over the years but never made, and still find myself in the rut of cooking the same things over and over.

You did a good job in presentation and photography of your foods.

Murf said...

Coming from a photog like yourself, that's quite a compliment. I owe it all to my coworker showing me the 'little flower' option on my digital camera when I made the Tres Leches cake for a work potluck. You can see just how moist that was. I think I need to make that again...

Bone said...

I used to have a rule that you couldn't post a picture of food without shipping out samples. But no one ever listened.

We should, however, set up a blogger recipe exchange.