Monday, May 25, 2009

I'll take Atlanta Hodge Podge for $500, Alex.

Views

My view from the bench in front of the hotel. This is where not only did I get dissed by a homeless man but I saw many a woman in beautiful business suits and great shoes going to and from lunch from some unknown office somewhere on Peachtree.


Just a shot down Peachtree during a rare lull in the lunchtime traffic. These two women are not the ones that I reference in the above picture. I'm guessing they were in town for the conference as well.



The Hotel

The design of the hotel reminded me of a large scale Melrose Place. This is the view looking up from the atrium lobby:


My room was on the 21st floor. This is the lobby from above:


The five elevators were 90% glass and they moved quick. Going down always made me a bit queasy:


Looking down at the crazy carpet in the elevator didn't help the queasiness any. I can't imagine looking at that after a margarita or three.



Touristy Things

After the conference, my sister-in-law drove down from Tennessee to hang out in Atlanta with me and sightsee (and hit her beloved Ikea) so after a great lunch at Mary Mac's Tea Room, we headed to The Margaret Mitchell House. Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite books (and the movie's not too bad either) so I was really looking forward to this. I was amazed to learn that the author was quite a feminist for that time even well before that term was ever coined. While learning her history and seeing her house was interesting, the GWTW portion was the most interesting, specifically...

The portrait of Scarlett from the movie:



Here's a better shot of the portrait minus the signage:


The actual front doors of Tara from the movie:


At the conference, one of the things that the people from Atlanta said that everyone had to do who had never been in the area before was to eat at a Waffle House and a Chick-Fil-A. The Waffle Houses I've seen whenever I've traveled to Dayton, Ohio and below so I wasn't keen on that. I was, however, looking forward to hitting up a Chick-Fil-A after last year's collegiate bowl games and discovering them via the bowl game that they sponsor. I did really enjoy my Original combo (and even introduced Big A to it this past Friday during an overnight trip to Cincinnati):



This Chick-Fil-A happened to be in the food court located in this building:


Another highlight was the tour of CNN. While photography wasn't allowed during it, we did get the option at sitting at a faux anchor desk and purchasing the photo afterwards if we wanted. I did it...and purchased the photo afterwards. The best part was watching their newsroom in action with Fredricka Whitfield doing her thing at the (real) desk.

And of course, no tour of CNN is complete without a little makeout session with Anderson Cooper:

Don't let his face fool ya. He liked it.

4 comments:

Ed said...

I can't think that I've ever been on the 21rst floor of anything besides the Sears tower and there I just briefly passed it twice. I think the highest up I have slept in a building is the fifth floor.

When in Rome, I try to eat food that the locals eat that isn't a chain restaurant. I think I would have avoided the chick-fil-a and tried to find something having to do with those famous Georgia peaches perhaps in pie form.

Murf said...

Ed - Mary Mac's Tea Room is kinda like one of those places and they had the best peach cobbler. I don't think I missed anything by not going to Waffle House.

sage said...

I'm pretty sure I've been in that hotel--it's been a while as I was working with the scouts then, but I remember eating sushi in one of the open resturants while watching the glass elevators go up and down

TC said...

Waffle House=bad news.