Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Helping Out The Neighbors

On Monday we had our second snowstorm in the last week and a half. Instead of driving in it on a workday that wasn't really important, I took the day off and went out and had fun in it. By fun, I mean shoveling. Again Big A fueled up the snowblower (just your basic Toro, not the big industrial kind) and did the 3 neighbors nearest to us while I did our porch and sidewalk and headed out to where he was to do the finesse work - their porches and helping him find the edges of the sidewalks. We did our 70+ year old neighbor Terry's driveway and sidewalks, then crossed back across the street and did the sidewalk down to Jim who is probably in his mid-60's but after a life of heavy smoking, can't really handle snow removal. After that, we came back and did the driveway and sidewalk of Dan and Melissa who just had a baby 2 weeks ago. As luck would have it, we did their driveway just in time for her to take the baby to her doctor's appointment.

After a discussion that included nothing more than eye contact, a few hand signals and facial gestures, Big A then turned around and crossed the street again and ended up doing the sidewalk and part of the driveway of Terry's neighbor Randy who moved in about a year ago but we hadn't officially met. Unfortunately, Randy offered Big A $5 for helping it out. I say unfortunately because we don't do this for money. We do it because we have the snowblower and don't see the need to use it only for our own property like the Lawn Nazi and his industrial sized one. Randy wouldn't take no for an answer so Big A begrudgingly accepted it. When we were done and before we started on Round 2 later in the afternoon, we headed half a mile to Aubrees for a late lunch. We decided to use Randy's money and 'pay it forward' by using it as the very generous tip for our server.

In between snowstorms last week while walking the dog, Jim had stopped me and thanked me for doing his driveway and sidewalk and saving him from what would probably have been 5 heart attacks. He then added that he would like to buy us dinner and where did we like to eat. Much like Big A did with Randy, I said that he didn't have to and we were glad to help but after he wouldn't let it drop, I told him that we did enjoy Aubree's which I figured was easy enough for Jim to get to for a gift certificate.


After the talk with Jim, I realized, and was reminded of this with Randy and his $5, that as much as you might not want it because you aren't doing the good deed with any ulterior motives (although truth be told, I warned Big A to do an extra good job on Jim's driveway to ensure this gift certificate to dinner after Monday's snowstorm), sometimes people are so grateful for what you've done that you run the risk of offending them if you don't take whatever they are offering. Sure, Jim may not ever get the gift certificate but we will still do his driveway and sidewalks knowing that he's inside appreciating it. Terry always graces us with a knock on the window and a wave when she sees us but I know that it sets her mind to ease (and in the summer, we all congregate under her carport to watch the world go by and to chat) and Dan doesn't mind heights so he's our Spring and Fall gutter guy as well as someone we can ask for help when needed (he once painted around our back door/basement step area for nothing but a few Double Stuf Oreos and a couple bottle of beer).

The interesting end to this story: While at Aubree's for the late lunch, the snowplow had gone by. When we got home, instead of a wall of wet snow, we found that someone had shoveled the end of our driveway. Now I know how Jim, Terry, Dan, and Melissa feel.

6 comments:

sage said...

Regular do-gooders, eh? Actually, that's very nice of you, but I had to say something smart.

Murf said...

Despite my near constant picking on you, Sage, I am quite sweet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's all a question of hospitality. You didn't seek a reward but accepted one freely offered. Major league karma boost, methinks.

Cheers.

Ed said...

I always hate accepting money from someone when I did it out of my own free will. I especially don't like it when I plan on repeating it in the future and don't want them feeling obligated to pay me every time. I've solved the problem by asking them to give the money to their favorite charity on my behalf. It makes everyone feel better and whether or not they actually do it is in their hands.

How do you like the toro? After this year, I think I am going to hang up my shovel. I'm not sure I want to shovel out my driveway anymore in this lifetime.

Murf said...

Ed - You are getting up there in years. I think it is time to leave the shovel for anything under 3 or 4 inches. ;-) Big A mainly uses it but it has been a good machine for these past 3 years and as you can see from this entry, we really put it to use.

Don't forget your roof rake!

TC said...

Murf...sweet...Murf...sweet... it's not making sense to me ;)

That was a nice gesture.