Opening ceremonies: *yawn* I'm a huge fan of Canada and I enjoyed the native aspect of it but after an hour and assuming the Canadian God Wayne Gretzky would be the lighting the official flame (which he was...one of 4..or 3 if you count the figure skater that got stuck with the bum column not rising). I did get a little choked up when Georgia (the country, not the country in the form of a United State) came marching in.
Luge: While unfortunately it seems to suffer from the "bigger/faster/higher/better" philosophy until someone had to die to which the starting point for men was moved to the, to quote another luger, the old lady line, I love it. I think that's the coolest sport of them all. Sure, part of it does have to do with the tight outfits but I'm just impressed that they can point their feet and hold their head up through all that.
Speed skating (mens): Much like the luge, love the outfits. I find when 6 or 7 are skating together that it is kind of mesmerizing which leads to me forgetting to check out Shani Davis in his unitard. Apolo has awfully pretty skin and teeth though.
Figure skating (mens/pairs/ice dancing): I watch it in hopes of getting the answer to the one question I've always had: What heterosexual man would choose to be an ice skater? I have yet to get an answer.
Moguls (women): My breasts and knees hurt just watching that. I'm assuming men must cringe when watching the men moguls.
Downhill skiing: My second favorite winter Olympic sport to watch. Partly because, much like NASCAR, I'm always looking out for the accident but eventually I get into it once there are scores to beat.
Biathlon: This sport deserves the WTF? award. So you cross-country ski and then you stop and shoot at targets and then you cross-country ski some more. How about shooting at something real WHILE cross-country skiing like deer or squirrel...or the person in the lead? Maybe that will be when the winter Olympics are held in the south.
Cross-country skiing: Borr-ring!
Hockey (men): I'm excited to watch this but how sad is it that most of the players that are popular in the NHL are playing for Canada or Sweden. Who is on the US team? Did they have to bring back Pat LaFontaine? (Did I just show my age right there?)
Hockey (women): I'm a big fan of women hitting other women but unfortunately, NBC doesn't seem to think it's that big of an event as of yet. Maybe once they get down to the medal rounds....nah, probably not even then.
Coverage of the Olympics: Boooooo! I love the Beijing Summer ones because I could watch it on CBC (Canadian channel) and get real coverage without all the blathering. Now I have to sit through all the blathering because CBC was outbid by another Canadian channel and it's one I don't get. I do like the "Coming up..." in the lower righthand corners though.
5 comments:
My wife is a huge fan of the Winter Games, inasmuch as she's German and a former member of the German Ski Team. Suffice to say, I'm huge disappointment to her, inasmuch as I flee to my man cave for a hearty helping of NCAA Basketball.
Cheers.
I thought the opening ceremonies were a bit long myself, especially after the bar that China set two years ago.
I remember always watching the luge and bobsledding events when I was younger because it was the only event where people had died.
I like watching Ono skate through the crowds. He makes it look so easy.
I don't watch figure skating but if I did, this would be the one I watch for the outfits, of the women.
I used to watch the downhill skiing for the wrecks but gave it up. Now I just wait for the highlight reel showing them all.
I was thinking of doing an Olympics post, too!
I'm all about the sports decided by hundredths of a second. I love watching those timing splits and crap.
Your like the luge and speed skating for much the same reason I like gymnastics. Women's gymnastics, in case I needed to specify there.
I may have to do a winter olypmics post... If the TV commentators say one more thing about that dreamwork's movie, I'm going to scream. As if it wasn't commercial enough already.
Sage doesn't have anything to say about you dissing cross-country skiing?
I love figure skating...women's and pairs. Men's is kinda gross.
Luge scares me.
And women's moguls... oh yeah, it hurts, but it's GREAT!
Post a Comment