A few weeks ago, Big A and I stopped at a grocery store that we rarely go to since we were in the area and just needed a few things. This grocery store has 3 different types of checkouts: the old-fashioned kind with the cashier, the 12 items or less do-it-yourself, or the new variety: do-it-yourself with unlimited items. It has the moving belt on it as you find with the cashier ones but it is completely do it yourself.
We had a bit more than 12 items so we chose the 'do it yourself with unlimited items' checkout. As we got into one that had a relatively short line, I noticed that the woman in front of us was just perusing the magazines and leaning against the post that was just to the left of our aisle. I assumed maybe she was just buying a magazine or maybe had a bad back and the post was aiding her. The more I watched, the more I realized the 3rd option: She was standing in one lane while her boyfriend/husband was in the lane next to it with a full cart. "Ah HA", thought I, "They are trying to see which line moves the fastest and he will come over with the full cart if our lane is that one." As soon I spotted this little game, I nudged Big A. He had picked up on the same thing. Then I got a bit ticked and flabbergasted. This isn't the popcorn line at the movie theater. This is a grocery store! You don't do that here. Who would even think of doing such a thing?
As we stood in line, I noticed the couple talking in their native tongue and he kept glancing at our 14 items in our basket. Oh if only I was from India so I could have understood that discussion. Finally...the moment arrived.
The guy in front of the woman moved up to start scanning his items but she did not move up. Big A then asked the woman if she was in line to buy that magazine and if not, could she please step aside so that we could move up. She was caught a bit off guard and finally said that she was with him, pointing to the guy with the cart in the next aisle. Big A then said, in a firm but not an angry voice, that that was not how this worked. He was in that line with his cart, not this one. She immediately stepped aside and went to stand with the man she was conspiring with.
As we moved up to stand behind the guy currently scanning his groceries, I had an epiphany. Here I was, just standing there and there was this guy who was scanning and would then have to spend more time bagging everything he had....why don't I just offer to bag them for him as he's scanning and paying? So I asked him. He seemed a bit shocked at being approached but not enough to miss this great opportunity so he said "Sure." Big A was now the one flabbergasted since I'm not the most outgoing of people (shocking, I know) nor is bagging groceries a favorite hobby.
I will admit it was a little weird to look at the stuff a stranger was buying. It felt too intimate, like the Mr. Coffee machine that I put directly into his cart and the filters that I bagged. Is he new to drinking coffee or did his old machine break? Why all the crackers? What are you serving with this red wine? I am the Question Lady and I do wonder about odd things (both attributes would make me a great custom's agent, I believe).
As he pushed his loaded cart by me, he thanked me again for bagging. I wonder if he told his friends about this odd girl that offered to bag his groceries. Maybe he even paid it forward and assisted someone else after that. I wonder if that Indian couple will try that little ploy again in the checkout aisle or leave it where it belongs - at the snack counter of a movie theater. Maybe, just maybe, Big A and I made a difference that evening.
8 comments:
In my college days, I did three years of grocery, including check-out and bagging. I often bag my own, even in the regular lines because the 16 year old bag-boys don't know poop from apple butter when it comes to not smashing my eggs or bread. I pray the gentleman you helped was cursing you later when he and his family enjoyed a dinner of one dozen scrambled eggs.
Cheers.
I can see you bagging now, asking the poor guy, "Why did you buy this?" Like Randall, I too worked in grocery store in High School and did my share of bagging. PS, did you tell him to bring his own bags and save the environment? :)
Ditto the comment about modern day bagging boys.
I smell that this store was a Super Walmart.
R. - You would have been proud: The eggs got their own bag. :-)
Sage - I was surprised he didn't have his own bags since I was getting an "earth loving" vibe from him. As with all of us, he probably forgot them in his car or maybe he uses Meijer plastic bags to pick up the poop of a dog smaller than 70 lbs (I wouldn't dare use them for a dog 70 lbs or heavier...I stick with Target).
Ed - Not quite although similar concept. It was Meijer.
I bagged in college.
The most bizarre "intimate" memory I have was of this couple who bought of Trojans Magnums on the belt.
Looking at the short, spindly guy, there was just no way I could believe he needed those!
I bagged in college.
That's what she said! ;-)
It's like whenever I see Ron Jeremy, I can't believe the stories that I've heard. Maybe we need to rent one of his movies, TC. ;-)
I spent some time in the retail grocery industry in high school. You simply can't become personally invested in each buggy that comes through the line, so you learn to detach yourself.
TC - Sounds like you've got the makings for a blog entry of your own! Or two.
Blog entries? What are those? O:)
Post a Comment