Below are some of the headstone (and a few scenic) highlights of the walking tour.
1. Minnie - The others were a little creeped out by what was written on it. I just hope it was something Minnie would have wanted on there.
2. Parrish - A little slanted but I like all the rocks. It reminds me of the Jewish tradition of bringing a rock and laying it on the headstone when you are visiting someone in a cemetery.
3. Watson - Who knew you could have cupcakes and cookies etched onto your headstone?! I hate the shiny black of the headstone though but the voyeur in me likes the pictures.
4. Hawkins - Interesting texture.
5. Bennett - I don't recall seeing this one on any of my drives through the cemetery. As soon as I saw it, I could picture Big A having something like this.
6. Cornwell - Love the smooth roundness...not that I touched it but it looks smooth.
7. Chidister - Love the carving on it.
8. The far western side of the cemetery and off in the distance, Eastern Michigan University.
9. Vivian - I'm not sure if this was a woman or someone last name but I like the thought of a female enjoying horseshoes and whacking things with a mallet so much that she wanted them engraved on her headstone.
10. McDowell - I wonder how many birds drown, not realizing how deep this is.
11: The Water Tower - No matter where you go, the so-called brick dick is always visible. I never got the phallicness of it until I went to college and that's all people talked about.
12: Not sure who this belonged to but after climbing a few steep hills and having walked a few miles, I was ready to take this person up on the invitation and sit a spell. I didn't though.
13: Bodle - I'm guessing that the Bodles might have personal space issues but I really like the neatness of the concrete edge and the steps up into it.
14. Dolson - Could never really read this one but I could see the weird geometry-like design on it and that was enough to scare me away...but not before I noticed this:
Upon closer review, this person was born in Canada. That explains a lot.
15: The Civil War monument - Despite a few years of playing around it while in marching band after the Memorial Day parade, I never really paid much attention to it until this walking trip.
16: Starkweather - Mary Ann Starkweather and her philanthropy have a huge part in our city's history.
17: Watch - I'm not sure if her dog is buried here too but I'm taking notes for when Hooch's time comes.
5 comments:
Cemeteries are always interesting, if a tad melancholy. I always wind up wondering what interesting stories have been lost with the passage of time.
Cheers.
I like looking at headstones in cemeteries. As a genealogist, sometimes they offer clues into our ancestor's past. Other comments:
2: To me that screams out, "to heck with coughing up 5k for a stone, I'm going to build it myself!"
3: Since the wife isn't dead and is actually young, isn't it quite presumptuous that she is going to be buried with him? She can still get married and have more anniversaries than years her first husband lived.
4: The texture reminds me of a morel.
9: I would guess that Vivian was a blacksmith with the anvil, hammer and horseshoes and guessing by the dates and maleness of the profession, probably his last name.
11: It certainly screams out dick to me.
13: I would guess your Lawn Nazi and mine would both go for something like this.
You should go back for a stroll through the cemetery tonight--I think it's a full moon :)
If I was as good as you in photo shop, I'd created a "Murf" tombstone with a catchy saying on it.
R. - I always feel sorry for the headstones that the ground is slowly reclaiming. I do not want to be an unattended grave.
Ed -
2. That sounds like someone we know. ;-)
3. I was thinking the same thing. I guess if she keeps eating those cupcakes and cookies that she loves so much that she had them engraved on the headstone, it might not be too much longer.
4. Eeech!
9. Good observation.
11. All day yesterday after I saw your comment, I couldn't stop chuckling that you said 'dick'. You kiss your mother with that mouth? ;-)
13. I could see that too. The greenest patch of grass in the whole cemetary.
Sage - What catchy saying should I put on it? :-)
I don't mind cemeteries so much. Maybe because I've spent a lot of time in one.
Post a Comment