Thursday, April 1, 2010

More fun for $1 (plus $120 for accessories)

Back on February 28th, I told the tale of a walk through a snowy trail with a group of area people I met via meetup.com. While that walk was a bit of a bust, a few weeks ago I met up with them again to walk the trails of our nearby botanical garden. While nothing was in bloom so the scenery was basically one shade of brown, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk with the group which also included New Girl and another coworker, Phil. I enjoyed the walk so much that the following weekend, I headed to what I consider the worst place on earth - Cabelas - in search of hiking shoes.

Cabelas in and of itself isn't bad and it is the best place for people watching but I'm not a huge fan of all the dead animals they have on display and the people missing a tooth or two over in the gun section also make me a little nervous. Big A and I happened to go on the day in which they were celebrating the Second Amendment and there were tables of NRA representatives scattered around the store. If I had known this I probably would have worn my Obama t-shirt...just for fun.

Upon entering and sidestepping NRA Table #1, I headed directly to the shoe area. I knew from searching online I needed something lightweight, that "breathes" for the summer and I didn't want a boot. As I am prone to doing, I found the perfect shoe for not a perfect price but I figured if I wear them for 5 years, that's $20 a year. You can't find decent shoes for 20 bucks (this is how I can trick myself into believing anything. You should see how well I can talk myself out of going to the gym)! While I was shopping there, Big A headed into the area probably most men head to first - clearance. He did track down some great hiking boots for me that would be perfect for winter wear for a mere $30.

Tonight was another group walk at a nearby trail that I never knew existed and the debut of these shoes. I had worn them once before just to walk Hooch around the area and fell in love with them. I could step on rocks and never know it but tonight was the real test.

The trail was about 3-4 people wide and covered in small gravel so it was a great trail to walk on (not that I have much trail walking experience but this combined with the relative flatness of it ranks high on my list of favorites already). Because it's so warm today, I had to dig out my summer pants out of fear that jeans would be too much. The "hiking shoes/olive green cropped cargos/beige "moisture wicking" short socks" isn't a look I normally would have chosen but it did its job and with the help of larger earrings and a rather feminine cloth backpack, I hoped to sort of even out the extremely butch look I had going on my bottom half. According to New Girl, it worked. Especially with the backpack.

It was another great time and great walk. Due to the park being city-owned, there was a sign at the entrance saying that the gates would be locked 30 minutes after sunset. This led to a discussion on what actually constitutes sunset and it was decided on that we would just wrap up the walk at the 2.5 mile mark and not the complete 4 miles.

As we were heading back, I thought of Sage - I used the word "portage" in a conversation about canoeing and the small river that ran through the trail area. I may tease him until he feels like crying, but I learn stuff and I wait to apply that knowledge at just the right time (stangely enough, this isn't an April Fool's joke on Sage. Really, I do learn).

Next up: A local walk at 8 a.m. on Saturday down to the cemetery, around it, and back up. Shoes are coming back out for that but I will water down the toughness and hide the short moisture wicking socks by just wearing jeans.


The shoes. They reflect!

7 comments:

sage said...

It's good to know that I'm expanding your vocabulary... Keep hiking

Murf said...

I'm slightly scared by it. Fortunately, Craig Childs will never grace my library again. ;-)

Ed said...

I take great comfort in the knowledge that if I were to go blind, I could grab any shirt and any pair of pants out of the closet and know that I wouldn't be embarrassed by how I look. You on the other hand with your color matching just scares the heck out of me.

Anonymous said...

I've always had good luck with Cabela's when it comes to shoes. The "mother ship" in Sidney,NE is an amazing trove of stuff.

Cheers.

Sotamies said...

I see I dwell among the "slack bloggers"

Ed said...

My sidebar tells me it has been three weeks.

Murf said...

I know, I know. I'll get one up this weekend. (That's what she said!)