6:15 a.m.: Running a tad bit late, I pull out of my driveway and as I turn my steering wheel to go straight down the road, I happen to see a warning light on my dashboard. It's the now semi-regular coolant warning light. The owner's manual for my vehicle (yes, I read it) stated that should I need to add coolant more than 4 times in a year, it should be looked at. This warning light would have made it the 3rd time in about 4 months so I decided to call the mechanic later in the morning. About 3 miles into my drive, the low coolant light goes out as I knew it would. I guess it's low but not low enough for the light to stay on continuously.
10:00 a.m.: I call the mechanic and talk to my buddy Herb and we schedule for me to bring it in after work.
3 p.m.: I arrive at the place and tell the guy behind the desk, Patrick, what the problem is but that I don't see anything leaking underneath the car. He takes my keys and heads back as I enter the "lounge" to wait for Big A.
3:15 p.m.: No Big A yet so I leave the lounge to look outside and as I walk through the lobby, Patrick stops me to tell me what the problem is - water pump. An all new one is needed for an amount that was slightly more than my monthly payment for the vehicle back in the day. He gives me my employee discount, I sign the paperwork, he tells me that it takes about 3-4 hours and he isn't sure if they will be able to get it done by closing time, I say call me and walk out to find Big A has been waiting for me in the parking lot since 3 p.m.
4:30 p.m.: After a few stops, we arrive home and I call Patrick to tell him that I have an evening thing to go to and that I will just check in with them in the morning for pick up. He double checks my work phone number and will call when it's ready and we hang up.
6:15 p.m.: I leave early for my evening thing because I have to hit Walgreens for their sales on Popcorn, Indiana Kettlecorn ($1.99, regularly $2.99...if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it) and their 10 oz Palmolive dish soap (99 cents with coupon, regularly $2.99 - limit 3). Completely out of character, this jaunt into my favorite drugstore only takes about 5 minutes so I head to my evening thing early.
6:40 p.m.: I arrive at my evening thing which is....the first meeting for me of the public library's book club. It's a nice, cool evening so I sit in the car and watch people going in and out, slowly moving the car into better and better spots.
6:52 p.m.: I head into the library to await New Girl who is a long time member of this group.
6:58 p.m.: New Girl still hasn't arrived so I see people in a room that has the book for this month (Persepolis. It's very good) so I enter and sit in a chair at the end of the table.
7:05 p.m.: New Girl arrives as does Paula, the book club organizer and the chatting begins.
8:00 p.m.: After an hour of sitting between Mary the Mouth Breather and Eunice "I just lost a tooth", I am mentally and emotionally drained but I leave firmly resolved to return to something that has been tried and true for nearly 39 years - reading on my own.
Is it bad that the highlight of my day was finding the Twilight Graphic Novel at Borders and 99 cent Palmolive dish soap at Walgreens?
8 comments:
Do you always shop at Walgrens for popcorn?
So you are a parking space jumper?
The literature major in me cringes at the thought of book clubs. I got enough of the round table stuff in college.
Cheers.
So sorry about that. It is a two hour drive, one way, to get up there on a weekday. I'll just have to send you a list of my favorite sushi and royal purple t-shirt places so you can still find them without me present. ;)
Ed - No, we will be coming to YOU. You will be our last stop as we prepare to leave your fine state.
You didn't stop off at the snack machine for a Twix while you were there? Were there no free doughnuts?
So what happened between 6:15 and 10:00?
I assume you have heard about the Lawn Nazi from Chicago who late last week shot and killed his neighbor for allowing their dog to urinate on his lawn? You had better keep yours on a short leash because it just might catch on.
Why the weekday? Plan a weekend so TC can rendezvous too!
Post a Comment