Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pictorial Review - June

Facebook is an evil temptress for those of us with the attention span of gnat (plus an audience that demands amusing status updates that only I can provide it seems) and again I say I need to blog more so maybe July is the month to step it up. Until then, this is what your Murf has been up to:


The design "pros" (at least the ones on TLC) say that a room should be designed around one element. For the man cave, that element was the royal blue suede-like couch that we found in the clearance area of the local furniture store. That couch stood out like a sore thumb during those cinder block wall days of the man cave. Once complete though, it was the perfect fit...until the day came when the second break occurred which was a break that could not be fixed by propping up an unused shelf on its side as the first one was. Finally, after 2 weeks of "Be careful. Sit down slowly." cautions, Big A and I heaved it up the basement steps and to the curb on trash night:

The hope was that someone would drive by, see it, want it, grab it. Unfortunately that was not to be and it met a horribly disfiguring end inside the trash truck. It deserved a better ending then that.


After removing that, Big A and I moved the futon from the computer room down to the man cave. The couch was never quite as comfy for me and the long legs as it was for Big A and his shorter legs so this futon is perfect and I find myself invading the man cave more than I should be. However, now that there isn't a large, flat, soft surface in the computer room, when Hooch follows me (as he does 90% of the time), he has to lay on the tiny pad usually reserved for the cat if he doesn't want the hard wood floor:

I have yet to get a bigger pad for him but I have a rug in the room now.


2 weeks ago, the coworkers and I were treated to a tour of the renovated Big House (or Michigan Stadium for those not in the know). We weren't allowed down on the field or in the locker room since the faux grass was being updated as well but we did get to go in the new press box and the new, uber expensive suites and club seating area. I realize I don't have $4,000 to "contribute" to get even the nice, comfy chairs found in the enclosed club seating (not to mention much more for a full suite) but even then, I don't know if I would. You're so removed from the action that I might as well have stayed home and watched the game. This picture was taken from the press box:

Across the way are the indoor and outdoor club seats, more suites and the usual bleachers for the poor folks.


Lastly, the quintessential Murf moment of the month. I packed my gym bag on Sunday night. On Monday towards the end of my workday, I head to the bathroom to change into my gym clothes. As I toss the shoes on the floor, I notice that something is not quite right:

For the record, I did think for a full second (or three) of still not going to the gym but since they were at least one Left and one Right, I didn't find that to be a good excuse so I put them on and worked out with two different shoes. I had actually forgotten about them until the end when I was stretching my hamstrings and as I bent down, there was the glaring reminder.

9 comments:

TC said...

I laughed at the shoes. Priceless.

You could post the same updates here as on Facebook, no?

Anonymous said...

I once showed up in court only to realize I was wearing one burgundy and one black shoe on. Fortunately, the judge was a good sport and I was the only thing on the docket, so no harm, no foul.

Cheers.

sage said...

Michigan is the only state where people brag about going to the "Big House!" And the shoes, I suppose when the gym nazis asked you about going the wrong way on the circuit you could point to your feet as your excuse? And don't u like my new pic?

Ed said...

You can toss an entire couch to the curb and the trash guys take it away? Unless we can fit it into a 55 gallon plastic container, ours would remain by the curb until the once a year cleanup.

Which brings me to a point. My 55 gallon container almost always has one partially filled garbage bag in it while most everyone on the block has theirs overflowing with four or five bags. That is almost one bag every day. I just don't see how they can buy and haul that much stuff inside their house on a daily basis to be throwing that much away. It remains a mystery to me.

Murf said...

TC - I was thinking about doing it via Twitter and having the Twitter post show up on here. I'm still thinking about that.

R. - Does your wife know you have burgundy shoes? :-)

Sage - I follow the rules. I know what the term "numerically" means so I'm always going the right way. Others, not so much. I do like your picture. It makes me want to spray Febreze on you. ;-) I have this strange sense of deja vu that I've seen that somewhere before...

Ed - We must be lucky. Our rule is two 30 gallon (I think that's the size) trash cans and one large item. Twice a year they allow for extra large items. Why not go look in their trash bags? Once it is on the curb, it's no longer private property. :-)

Sotamies said...

Are those blinds, or bars on that window?

One shoe looks newer than the other. Did you notice more spring in your stride with that newer shoe?

Garbage here at Choreless Acres goes in the typical tall kitchen garbage bags; then two or three of those go into the big black yard bags. Then I stuff as many of those as I can into the back of the Avalanche and it costs me $11.00 to toss the load into one of the big dumpsters at the transfer station.

It's summer now, so there is no yard burning allowed. But during the winter months I have noticed that a lot of people around here have burn barrels for paper trash.

But, if one was inclined to, you could burn all your old furniture in the yard during the winter months and you probably wouldn't hear a peep from a soul.

Ed said...

Beware, I burnt one of my couches once during a bonfire in the deep throes of winter up in central Minnesota. Granted, there might have been some old spilled alcohol in the couch which was why it was getting burnt to begin with. It burnt like a huge roman candle and forty feet away despite below freezing temperatures was plenty warm, at least for the two or three minutes it took to burn. The next morning, all that was left was a handful of wire.

Murf said...

Sotamies - 1. Those are blinds. 2. No. I actually prefer the older model. That must be why I keep you around too. :-) 3. That's nice of you to pay to toss your extra trash. I usually just find apartment complexes and dump the bags there.

Ed - Only Michigan State Spartans burn couches after a loss. I am not one of those (but Sage might be). Also we can't burn anything in the city...except maybe old houses. :-)

Sotamies said...

It's not extra trash Murph. $11.00 is my monthly garbage fee; but, I have to haul it to the transfer station once a month. Which me thinks may be less work than hauling the big garbage can to and fro weekly.