Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Question of the Day

The friend of a cousin is pregnant. Her shower was back in November but I couldn't make it but I still wanted to get her something. Fast forward 5 weeks and I'm still trying to get with her to give her the gift. Today marks the 3rd attempt at trying to set up a lunch or dinner with her so that I can give this to her.

My philosophy currently is that if nothing comes of this 3rd and last attempt within a few weeks, I'm just going to return the items assuming she hasn't already received one of them which was off of her baby registry.

I could send them to her but I got her some really nifty things that I want to be there when she opens so that's not an option (plus I don't technically know her address although I did look up baby daddy's address and I think she lives with him).

How long would you wait until you just gave up and returned the items?

12 comments:

sage said...

probably not as long as you!

Bone said...

LOL at Sage's comment.

BofAll, I'm trying but I can't envision a scenario where I'd be buying a gift for a "friend of a cousin." Then again, I am a guy.

And as I don't recall a Seinfeld about this topic, I don't think I'm going to be of much help.

Bone said...

Oh! It just hit me! Take back the gift, and just give her a Human Fund Card, as sort of a shower/Festivus catch-all.

I'm not helping, am I?

Ed said...

I can't even name a single friend of any of my three cousins. Freak! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would butt the lunch idea and just make a special trip to give her the present. Otherwise, just wait until the baby is born and call it a twofer.

Cheers.

Murf said...

I should elaborate - Pregnant Girl once dated my cousin which is how I got to know her so well via family events.

Also, she's telling me that she is busy juggling work and home stuff but yet I read her status updates that say she is eating at Nick's Pancake House. My first invite was actually to meet for brunch. I just don't get it. I should check to see how long I have to return these things.

Murf said...

R - I would but she has yet to invite me over during any of these attempts to meet up. Wouldn't one say "Why don't you just come by?"?

I'm smelling a credit on my Visa which wouldn't be all that bad.

Sotamies said...

I fall into Bone's first comment group; friend of a cousin...nah.

Yeah, I'm a guy too.

Ed said...

I couldn't even name any of the people my cousins have dated. I can however name the spouse of one of my three cousins and that is only because I attended the wedding last year. Give me another year and I will have forgotten.

Murf said...

I need to think more like a guy. I just happened to see that she updated her Facebook status to "Chinese takeout and Supernanny. Yay pregnancy!"

I'll be going through my receipts tomorrow and returning the items.

Murf said...

Found the receipts! I noticed that my Target purchases was only returnable until 1/3/11. Good thing I decided to return the items now or I would have been stuck with a variety of baby turtleneck onesies!

TC said...

I waited 6 months once. That was the longest.

Then I took the gifts back to Kohl's, got a store credit, and used the "extra" money towards Christmas presents that year.