11 years ago today, I decided that this was the face that would finally make me a dog owner after 30+ years of always wanting to be one:
What started out as a laugh with a coworker about what kind of redneck would name their dog Hooch, turned into one of the best decisions I ever made.
After having a bit of a panic attack on the way home in the backseat of my old Honda Civic that was being driven by Big A before we were ever married much less living together (What if he was a dog from hell that ate drywall? How will I know if he has to go to the bathroom? What if he doesn't like me?), Hooch turned from looking out of the window, laid on the back seat and put his head on my lap. The tears dried up and we have been the best of friends since.
In the past year though, the tears have returned every so often. He's 12.5 years old now. I see him getting whiter and moving slower. I see weird lumps on him. The day when I faced the fact that he couldn't go on what had once been our 'short walk', I let myself mourn for that before trying to suck it up because as Big A so eloquently points out, he's not dead. Since then, our 'new walk' when the weather permits consists of just going the block down to the park, getting his sniffing and urinating needs met and then, when the ground permits, sitting and letting him rest before we start the half a block walk back home. I've been able to keep the first part of our once 'short walk' included in this revised walk since he knows that way so well. A compromise that seems to make us (or at least me) feel better.
We have had to add carpet remnants to kitchen steps that lead up from the backdoor as his hind legs aren't quite as strong as they once were and slippery floors seem to be his nemesis as does our bed which he no longer tries to jump into. Despite all of this, he is still the same great dog that loves nothing more than a new, hard rubber ball especially if has appendages that he could chew off but would drop this ball in an instant if he hears the word 'walk' which still trumps everything.
Sometimes I see humane society bumper stickers that read 'Who rescued who?' and in our case, I would have to ask that. He came during a time of big change for me. He was my companion while also making me doing things I wouldn't normally have done such as these walks which inevitably includes meeting neighbors or other random dog owners or, my favorite, the countless kids he has encountered that have all wanted to pet him and tell me what a pretty dog he is.
I know that our time together is more in the past than the future which just adds his specialness and our days together. I say 'I love my dog' often but there are no words to capture just how I feel about this guy (even though I just spent this blog entry trying to capture it). Hooch is the dog that young Murf always dreamt about when she was trying to make due with a stuffed dog her parents gave her or felt lonely during those awkward pre and early teen years. My love for him now is twofold because it also includes the love of that of my younger self and the dog she always wanted.
And just because he's so freakin' cute, here's a picture of him taken a couple of weeks ago after a snowfall and when I gave him a new hard rubber ball:


7 comments:
Darn it, you are making me want another dog again. Ted has been gone almost 20 years now and I still miss him.
Well, you are home so you could easily train him/her. Just sayin'. ;-) I'm sure the girls would love a dog.
FYI...I shared a similar story along this same line with the humane society that I got him from and they posted it on their Facebook page! So far we are up to over 250 likes and one guy even said that he wishes that there were more like me. Obviously he doesn't know me. ;-)
Perhaps someday I will get another dog but not yet. The biggest problem I have is that I live in town and when I go on vacation, it means a kennel for the dog and I have a hard time doing that. Back when I had Ted, he had an entire farm to roam while we were gone on vacations though he rarely did. Whenever we got back, it looked as if all Ted had done was sit by his food bowl and eat. He would always be ten pounds heavier! After I get traveling out of my blood, then I will get a dog to enjoy at home for the rest of my years.
A kennel is tough. The only time I left Hooch with someone was because she only took a couple of dogs at a time and ran it from her house so other than being in the actual kennel at night (which was situated amongst their living room furniture - it looked nicer than that may sound), they were out with the family and their dog which was really nice. Other than that, I've had friends or the mother-in-law come stay at the house.
Nice tribute, Murf. I should write one about Trisket because he's about the same age and can no longer go for those 3-4 mile walks and has gray hair and slips on the kitchen flooring and all that, but he is still a great dog (as long as there are no electrical storms around).
Aww, he is a cutie!
getting his sniffing and urinating needs met
That's all any guy really needs. Trust me.
There is nothing like the love and companionship and unending loyalty of a good dog or cat. Nothing.
Post a Comment