Friday, March 15, 2013

Website of the Day

I came across this website courtesy of my sister-in-law who shared it on Facebook.  It's called Underground New York Public Library.  It's a guy taking pictures of people on the subway and what they are reading


I love the website design with the subway map of NYC as the background.  In the Common Questions section, he answers the questions you are probably asking such as do these people know that their photo is being taken or how do you know what book they are reading.  It seems a bit sketchy how he does it considering that some people are oblivious to it but I guess it could be worse.

The other thing that amazes me that in a crazy busy, outstanding people watching opportunities that NYC above ground as well as in the subway, I can't believe people can actually concentrate on their books and can ignore all the life that is going around.  They must be born and bred in NYC because I can't imagine being able to do it.  To me, reading a book equals a nice comfy chair and not hundreds of people around me. 

8 comments:

sage said...

As a guy who can read with 100s of people around, I'd be totally pissed off to find my picture on this blog...

sage said...

I now understand this... if you click on the "borrow" tag, you go to a library url and if you click on the "read" tag you go to Amazon so this is a way to drive traffic there and for him to make a few coins if someone actually buys the book..

Ed said...

I can understand how people can and do read on the subway. In college I used to ride the bus everyday to classes clear across town. The novelty of looking out the window at the same thing every day quickly wears off and a book seems way more interesting. In my case, I read the newspaper everyday on my way to classes but still peeped out the window or at my fellow passengers a time or two along the way.

Murf said...

Sage - How ingenious. I never knew there were hidden perks for this weirdo built in to the website. Good for him! Better than these horrible ads people put on their blogging site. ;-)

Ed - I guess it could be a personal space thing too by not making eye contact, your chances of being approached drop.

Ed said...

Speaking of horrible ads put on blogging sites, I wonder how much money they actually pull in. Perhaps, not naming names but Sage, can give us an update? ;)

Murf said...

I'm guessing not enough to even by a small coffee at Starbucks! :-)

sage said...

it seems I'm making about $50 a year--I've racked up $43 since the payout ten months ago, and that payout (which I gave away to a ministry that works with the poor) was $102 after 2 1/2 years of ads. But I don't try to do anything to generate traffic or to tie ads into my blog.

Bone said...

Yeah, yeah, whatever.

Challenge me on WWF! I'm Ala-Bone.