Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Own Before and After - Part III: Fini!

Day 2 of the living room makeover began bright and early after a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats.  I got the roller out, the paint tray, a screwdriver to open the paint can and I was ready to roll.  Again with the dog and the husband asleep in the bedroom, I plugged in my iPhone, hit 'shuffle' on my 80's playlist and went to town! 

Starting in the most awkward spot by the front door, my arm became one with the roller (my hand had some issues with joining the team.  I wonder if OXO makes paint rollers with a comfortable handle like they do kitchen utensils) and within an hour, I had the first coat of the natural almond done in time for lunch.   Sitting in the dog-free green chair, I just enjoyed the great music for the 80's while a perfectly made deli turkey sammich (turkey, lettuce and mayo only!  A timeless classic.) and admired the color and my handiwork (while trying to ignore the cat who was watching me due to his love of deli meat).   

By the end of the day, I was able to get both coats on which left the "fun" for the next day:  the application of the coconut shell color to the lone, unpainted wall.



The next morning, I couldn't wait to get started.  Again I climbed the ladder of fear and taped the ceiling while neglecting to see the big picture and the difficulty that is painting a dark color next to a lighter one such as in the corners where Natural Almond meets Coconut Shell.  That was remedied by just concentrating (yes, my mouth was open but since it's a smaller area, I didn't dehydrate) and using the angled brush.  It could probably do with maybe another round of touch ups but unless you're starting right at it, it's fine. 

As I was applying the paint, I could still see spots of yellow through it.  I didn't notice it with the lighter color as much although I did apply 2 coats anyway but I was amazed either at the potency of the yellow paint and its refusal to be painted over or how crappy the Behr Primer and Paint in One is.  Or both.  That night, I ended up Googling yellow paint and lo and behold, I read that it is a tough color to not only paint over but to also get accurate color on the new paint.  Who knew?  I just thought it was a pastel so how hard could it be.

Jump ahead to June 3rd and below is the completed result:


Nearly a week later, I still stand in the doorway and just look at the living room but the above collage of before and after pictures really strikes a nerve in me as a person and my evolution from 2000.  When my cousin who had helped me initially would later unfriend me on Facebook because she thought I wasn't the person she thought I was (and proceeded to tell Big A such things when he emailed her to find out what the heck was going on).  In her words:  I don't know Murf.    That's right.  She doesn't nor will she now.  Big A was even surprised that I wanted such a change since the yellow and the decor "suited me" but at least he understood when I told him that I've changed since then. I can still appreciate yellow (I'd love a yellow EXTERIOR house now).  I can still appreciate Mary Englebreit art work.  Do I want my house to look like something she designed?  At one time, yes.  Now, not so much.  I'll leave it to bits and pieces such as the switch plates that I have which are still her designs. 

While the living room update was necessary, perhaps it was also necessary in a more intangible way for me to see just how far I've come and to remind myself that I can do something like painting a living room completely on my own.  Next up in some far off distant future:  repainting the kitchen and just randomly climbing the 6 foot A-frame wooden ladder so I don't lose my lessened fear of it.

No comments: