Monday, June 22, 2009

Memories of Summer

Now that we are over 80 degrees and Wednesday looks like it will be 90, Big A and I have yet again decided to do the A/C competition and see how long we can go without and who will be the first one to cave. I'm guessing it will be on by Wednesday but during the last few sticky nights, I've relived my younger years when we didn't have A/C. I took showers right before bed and fell asleep to the lull of the window fan while my hair was still wet which made the pillow case wet, albeit cool, whenever I turned.

I was also remembering other signs from my youth that it was hot such as my neighbor across the street, Nick, breaking out the tank top or coming home from school and seeing my mom in her Playtex Cross Your Heart bra (which actually covers more than any bikini top I've ever seen) and one of the two pairs of shorts that she had. Usually when she was dressed like this, the windows were also closed to keep the hot air out and the shades were drawn on the western side of the house to keep the sun at bay. I hated that closed in feeling more than anything. Sure it was a few degrees cooler but come on, it's still hot. I've married someone similar. At the first hint of rain, Big A likes to close all the windows "to keep the damp out" because it reminds him of his mother's house growing up.

We did have A/C one year when my dad put in a window unit and we closed the pocket door to the kitchen to keep the main part of the house nice and cool. I still remember to this day sliding open the door to get something to eat and being hit in the face with a wall of hot. I think that was the summer I rarely ate.

One of my favorite adult purchases was definitely the central air. So while I relive my youth by taking showers 3 minutes before bedtime and rolling around on a wet pillowcase, I love the option of flipping the switch and having instant coolness. I can't think of any better adult purchase (at least in regards to summer) than that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Murf

I too am a veteran of the cool shower right before bed on a hot summer eve. But, I have also been known to frequent the sauna, where I would sweat away wordly frustrations at temperatures ranging from 170 *F to 200 * F
Upon exiting the sauna, a slight breeze in 90*F outside temps would even send a shiver down the back.
Take care and have a good day.

Has your dog jumped through any windows lately?

I no longer see "Snake Eater" of Mistakes Were Made on your sidebar. Has he been relieved of duties?

Ed said...

We caved in already but we've had temps already in the mid 90's with high humidity. The high humidity always does me in. As I grow older, a good nights sleep is worth increasing amounts of money to me.

Sage said...

I hate humidity--I grew up with it but purged it out of my system by living years in the desert... why am I here? The AC was on yesterday!

Murf said...

Why Hannu, is that you? Snake Eater doesn't really write all that often so I thought I'd save him from the embarrassment from always being at the bottom of the blog links. And no, the dog has not jumped through any windows but I do get a free replacement should that ever happen again (I checked).

Ed - The high humidity is the kicker. Even just turning on the A/C to 80 helps a lot.

Sage - You are here because you know that the humidity is good for the skin and keeps you looking young.

Shan! said...

Seeing as how my AC isn't functioning correctly just yet I've had to live the last few nights in the same fashion. And last night my hot water heater wasn't working so I took an ICE cold shower. I think I was whimpering it was so cold. But it's nice to jump out of the shower into the bed with the fan on! Still, I'll take the AC!

Bone said...

I like the AC competition idea. I think I caved around February this year.

TC said...

Yeah, we never had AC growing up either, but I sure do love it now.

Good post, Murf: I like the memories you brought up. I'd kind of forgotten "cross your heart" bras... probably 'cuz they were horrible, lol.