Act One
Scene 1 - Our heroine pulls up to the speaker at the drive thru of a local Starbucks at about 6:15 a.m. on a Thursday morn.
Disembodied Starbucks worker voice: Good morning! This is Debbie. Would you like your hot chocolate or is it coffee that you usually get?
Murf: Uh...er....hot chocolate. *looks around to see where Debbie could possibly see her since the drive thru window is flush with the building*
Debbie: That's what I thought but there is someone else that looks like you that gets coffee.
Murf: *still puzzled and slighhtly scared* Nope. Just a venti hot chocolate.
Debbie: Would you like anything else to go with that?
Murf: No thank you.
Debbie: Ok. I will have your total at the window.
Murf pulls up to the window which Debbie immediately slides open and takes the proffered gift card.
Debbie: Doesn't your husband usually drive you when you come? I normally see you in the passenger seat.
Murf: He does but I'm not lucky enough to be chauffeured this morning.
Debbie: Would you like a receipt?
Murf: No thank you.
Debbie: Your order will be right up. You want the stopper in the lid, right?
Murf: Yes please.
Debbie closes the drive thru window.
As Debbie turns her back to the window, I scoot forward to see how in the world she knew it was me at the speaker. Above the cash register, I see a monitor that shows the drive thru. I can't see if it shows the people up close or just the car with maybe the occasional glimpse of the driver. Our heroine makes a mental note to check out the surroundings on her next visit to try and spot exactly where the camera is located.
Debbie returns with the venti hot chocolate and puts the stopper in the sippy hole.
Debbie opens the window.
Debbie: Here you go. Have a wonderful day.
Murf: Thank you. You too.
Our heroine drives away still puzzled by the encounter and chuckling to herself.
4 comments:
There's probably a camera above the speaker/mic where you order. You're right though. It's disconcerting if you don't know it's there.
Cheers.
Having designed one for a local fast food restaurant, I can definitely say you wouldn't want to be caught with your finger up your nose.
Our heroine is slightly scared that there may be a clone of her running around... think of the rest of us, we're terrified! :-)
I pretty much just assume I'm on camera everywhere these days -- bank, gas station, restroom at work.
Post a Comment