With two tall maple trees in the backyard, laying out time was usually 12:30 and after and relegated to the driveway only. Once the sun had come around the trees, I grabbed the bi-colored plastic tri-fold lawn chair with the built in plastic pillow and moved it out into the middle of the driveway. I then laid the beach towel across the chair so that when I stood up afterwards, I wouldn't have the lines of the lawn chair across the back of my thighs.
Once I got all situated, I laid back, closed my eyes and just listened to the sounds of the neighborhood - someone mowing in the distance, birds chirping, the Lawn Nazi cursing at his wife, a fly buzzing my ear - as my white skin, unencumbered, absorbed what we now know to be UVA and UVB rays.
I live not to far from an airport that is mainly for private planes and cargo and the major airport is only 20 minutes down the road so hearing planes going over is no big deal. We weren't in the direction of a landing or a take off so it was rarely disruptive. Just another background sound that I've grown to not even hear. On this day, however, I heard something strange.
As I was laying there, getting drowsy by the sun and occasionally forcing one eye open to see if I left an imprint when I touched my legs or arms to see how much color (i.e., red) I was getting, I heard a plane. It kept getting louder and louder. A few seconds later, it was still getting louder so I got up from the lawn chair and walked to the far side of the driveway, towards the sound of this plane that was incredibly loud at this point and where there was space between the trees. Over the tree tops, I saw it. As it passed over me, I looked up and saw this:

The underbelly of a Blue Angel jet. For those few seconds as it passed over me, so close I could read everything on it and felt almost as if I could touch it, I was mesmerized.
As it disappeared over the trees, I realized something that growing breasts or the start of the monthly visits from Aunt Flo didn't do - I love men in uniform. I had officially became a woman.
That love hasn't diminished over time (and Van Halen's 1986 video for 'Dreams' helped to keep the fire stoked). I still get tingly and I've had the pleasure of paying money a couple of years ago to finally see them and to relive this feeling on the grounds of a small airport in central lower Michigan (as well as the Air Force's Thunderbirds and Canada's Snowbirds but as they say, you do remember your first and that was the Blue Angels). If I had one wish, it would be to ride with them. I don't care if I vomit food that I ingested 10 years ago as I've heard can happen to first-timers. I'm fine with that. Nothing ticks me off more than an E-list actress (or Kelly Clarkson. Really?!?) who gets that opportunity.
The Blue Angels are at the nearby private/cargo plane airport this weekend. It's a bit costly this year (and you can't bring in a cooler like you could at the other airport) so I'm not going nor do I lay out in the sun like I did on that fateful day but I will be planting myself outside and catching as many glimpses as I can (and watching the video, below) as I feel 13 again.
6 comments:
We had Funk & Wagnalls, too! Just not the whole set. Apparently, we didn't go to the grocery store the weeks that the D, G, M, S, or I-J volumes came out.
Once again my imagination got the better of me. TILL I READ FURTHER...at first glance I thought, what do we have here, is this chapter one of an official Murph Romance Novel.
It wasn't Funk & Wagnalls, but I too use to get some wanna be encyclopedias (I say wanna be, because these weren't the 1 1/4 '' thick volumes) from the grocery store with my Mom. The ones I got had a lot of nice color pictures and were about 1/2'' thick. No full set for me, only 4 or 5.
Bone - Poor guy. So for homework assignments you HAD to go to the library or did you just pick a subject from the letters that you did have?
Sotamies - Believe me, it's better for you if you don't hear that story. :-)
I had the pleasure of witnessing an aerial dog fight between jets complete with flares and decoys being dropped while paddling the upper Missouri in Montana once. However, it didn't turn me on to men in uniform.
Ed - I had a strange feeling that you were probably completely straight. :-)
I just realized you are older than I thought you were. And I'm wondering if I should leave that up, as it sounds kinda like a Sage thing to say.
Maybe Big A can pretend to be a pilot? Dress up for Halloween or something? :)
Post a Comment