
Even if some found jobs elsewhere, that's still a high number of people that will be needing unemployment and that's not taking into consideration any suppliers that will be disappearing as well as other jobs in other fields. Where's the end?
Your thoughts?
4 comments:
It's not a pretty picture.
I copied the following from Grouchy Old Cripple's blog.
John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock
(MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am.
While his coffeepot(MADE IN CHINA)
was perking, he shaved with his
electric razor(MADE IN HONG KONG)
He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans
(MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA)
After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet
(MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his
calculator (MADE IN MEXICO)to see how much he could spend today.
After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN)
to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car
(MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS (from Saudi Arabia)
and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.
At the end of yet another discouraging
and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA),
John decided to relax for a while.
He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL),
poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)
and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA),
and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job
in AMERICA
AND NOW HE'S HOPING HE CAN GET HELP FROM A PRESIDENT
MADE IN KENYA.
Losing a job is one thing. What happens if we lose a country.
History has taught us that history repeats itself. (who said that?)
I am one of those who at some point suddenly realized how like we are to the Roman Empire.
Roman Empire / USA
Caesar / President
Senate / Senate
Legionnaires / Soldiers (who are:)
Spread too thin in multiple conflicts.
Roman weakness / USA weakness
Water / Oil
But, I am an optimist. I have a tent. I have the knowledge to make fire.
What's the alternative?
What amazes me is all these towns crying that they aren't going to have as much in tax revenue now with these companies gone and have to lay off people. What happened to the last decade of booming economy when their tax bases were they highest they've ever been? Obviously they decided to spend more instead of saving for a rainy day.
I think the best thing about all of this is that people and governments alike will now have to cut back to levels they should have been for the last ten years. Unfortunately I am not holding my breath that this will be a lesson learned.
I can't seem to find it in myself to see the bigger picture. I can't envision an end to this recession, and that scares me.
I wonder what other countries would be saying if we indeed made our own products here again. How would anyone in China, Korea, India, Taiwan, Germany and Japan be able to buy our products? they make no money because they would have no industry.Who would buy our stuff? The Silk Road does not go across the Atlantic. The U.S would be making products no one would be buying. Capitalism and its foundations are made in making the most money while spending the least. Im not saying anything new here am I? When we are ready to work for peanuts and not for our next day off or the weekend boat trips or vacation to La La land, then maybe it could work. The American Dream was and still is built on the backs of immigrants and foreigners building or buying American prodcuts. The same individuals who bitch and complain about needing capitalism and democracy seem to have no idea that AMERICAN businesses are the only ones practicing it. We are worker ants, just like the rest of the 3rd world.
Post a Comment