Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Question of the Night

Is using the term 'Oriental' when referencing an Asian person or, as in Sage's recent blog entry, a Chinese movie acceptable? It seems so "Ukrainian immigrant from the 1930's that works at Fords (plural term necessary even when referring to one Ford plant)" like.

I had a brief discussion on this on Facebook where someone pointed out that Applebee's also uses this term for their Oriental Chicken Salad. Is using it for food more acceptable than it is for people?

I'm confused.

7 comments:

TC said...

I'm not even sure what's the politically correct terms these days: African American or black. Seems like a few years ago, AA went out and b came back in, but I'm not sure.

And if I can't keep that one straight, I sure as heck am not gonna be able to answer this question.

I'll keep checking back for someone to enlighten me though :)

sage said...

I didn't use Oriental in my post, did I? Although the word isn't politically correct, their is a nice ring to saying, "I'm traveling to the Orient." It reminds me of that Polio guy or was the Polo guy who invited the game kids love to play in water.

Ed said...

I think Oriental is an acceptable term to use and is more specific geographically than say a more generic term like Asian.

On a side note, if Applebees thinks that salad is an Oriental Salad, they have their head buried in something where the sun don't shine.

Murf said...

TC - You're in trouble if Sage and Ed are the only enlightening ones. :-)

Sage - You didn't but someone left a comment about "oriental films" which made me start wondering again.

Ed - That's funny...but oh so true. It must be because it has almonds that makes it oriental.

Bone said...

I tell ya, it's getting to where you can't even refer to girls as "chicks" or "babes" in some circles.

Murf said...

Bone - I don't mind 'chick' but 'babe' makes you sound like a 60 year old man that still smokes pot (not to mention the pig movie)...maybe that's the look you're going for though? :-)

Bone said...

Great.

In that case, I guess I'll just stick with Kramer's "femininas" for now.