Saturday is the wedding of a friend of Big A's in which he will be the best man and in which I have struggled to find something appropriate to wear in the status position of 'wife of best man'. I've returned one skirt before finding the right one, one pair of shoes and 3 shirts. Last week, I found THE SHIRT. It was one of those moments where the surroundings get dark and a light shines down from the heavens onto it - a dressy turtleneck. While I had hoped for such a thing in my heart of hearts, I was too realistic to think that it would actually exist and three steps into the store, I spotted it nicely folded up on a display table. I stood there staring at it dumbfounded for about 30 seconds and then stared at it after I picked it up for another 3 minutes. "A dressy turtleneck?! Are my eyes deceiving me?", thought I. It was dark red (so it will go with what the bridesmaids are wearing and since I have to sit at the head table since it's a relatively small bridal party, matching or at least complimenting made sense...but then I match my workout towel to my t-shirt so what do I know), sparkly material (did you catch that, Sage? A sparkly turtleneck) with a full foldover neck (no mock going on here) and, as an interesting design feature that I don't quite get, a "keyhole" cut out where my really white skin shows through just below the neck seam.
As soon as I got home, I tried on the shirt, skirt and shoes and modeled it for Big A. His comment: "You look like Liza Minnelli". I can see that what with my short, dark hair and the sparkly material. I guess I better know some showtunes for Saturday.
6 comments:
You spend longer looking at clothes in amazement than I do from entering a clothing store to exiting a clothing store. I am that fast.
Liza eh? Well, if the soloist fails to show, you can take her place!
As for the sparkly colors, you lost me with the turtleneck! what are you, afraid of vampires?
Ed - That was a bit of an exaggeration but I'm sure you would still have me beat. Thank God for buying polo shirts in bulk, eh?
Sage - My clavicle is really sexy so I have to keep it hidden from the masses. (That's not really true but it sounded better than just saying that I have a long neck and they look cute with my short hair)
You looked like Liza Minnelli?
I can think of worse things to look like. Go for it.
Sounds like you are having lots of fun. Go for it! :)
So Hawaiian shirts are out for this wedding?
Post a Comment