Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Job Fair Part II: The After Effects

(Or is it Affects?)

My reaction to the news that I got the job was so overwhelming that I have trouble understanding the root of it and I've been pondering it (and stressing out about it) ever since. It could be because I may be embarking on something that I've never done before or could it be something bigger like some sort of sign that I shouldn't go through with it.

I realize I am probably overthinking something that barely needs any thought at all but every part of me wants to call them up and say thanks but no thanks but yet it could be fun and I shouldn't be afraid of trying something new so I feel like I'm kind of stuck. I already bought my cool red and white shoes (gots to match with the "uniform" of red shirt (any type, doesn't matter) and khakis) so currently, I'm leaning towards at least going through the orientation next week. Like Big A says, it's not that I have to have this job to support 5 kids. I have the luxury of being able to quit at any time. Which leads me to another thing that I've been pondering...people who have to work these 7.25/hr jobs because they do have a family and perhaps little education or just the bad luck of being laid off and unable to find anything else. When I figured out what I would bring home if I worked 20 hours minus state and federal taxes, it was about $103. A semi-decent amount to have as play money (not to mention perhaps an employee discount) or just to add to the savings account for a trip to Greece one day but for a full 40 hour week, that's only about $206. And that $103 is actually part of my thinking. Do I really want to be that tired after working the mandatory 2 nights until midnight on a week day and getting back up at 5 for my full-time job for "just" $103? Shouldn't I just be happy that I was able get a minimum wage paying part-time job while others that were there probably went home disappointed?

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

3 comments:

sage said...

that's a lot of work for $5300 a year--but it'd probably get you a trip to Greece if you left Big A at home--another year of working if you both go...

Red and white shoes?

Affects/Effects, it don't matter as long make the right change, the customer can't hear the subtle difference over the beeping of the machines and the obnixious folks yelling for you to hurry up so they can get home to watch World Wide Wrestling... Okay, which is it?

Murf said...

They are Adidas so they're mainly white with the iconic stripes in red. Tres cute.

I don't think these customers watch WWF. Perhaps you're thinking of Wal-mart? :-)

Ed said...

Me personally there would be no way you could make me work those hours for $100. I feel as if I don't have enough time for my things as it is and my hobbies are priceless in my eyes anyway. But I do know lots of others who say the alternative is going home and watching television and in those cases, $100 and getting out of the house ir probably a good thing.