Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Murf talks football and politics

With the Iowa thing done and Hillary not doing as well as she and her team had planned, I'm starting to get interested in all that goings on again. On Saturday night, Big A and I were flipping between Ben Roethlisberger's interceptions and sacks (and Big A's repeated sayings that he's not going to watch NFL football ever again which he says every year the Steelers don't win the Super Bowl) and the Republican debate in New Hampshire. The tag teaming of Rudy and John and their snipes against Mitt and his record for changing his mind on topics was a bit juvenile I thought. I'm all for passive aggressive comments but I'm not running for President. There's a different set of rules for people who dare to do that. I watched Mitt on Meet The Press a couple of weeks ago and I have no idea why anyone would want to run for President. It just reaffirms what I believe: anyone that does, has a screw loose.
I was sitting there listening to Mitt explain his beliefs from years ago. Same with John McCain on today's Meet The Press. Tim Russert asked him about something that happened in 2001 and 2003. I vaguely remember anything that I did in 2001 much less anything that I said. These candidates must be emotionally and physically exhausted after such interviews. I know I was after watching Mitt's one hour interview.

While the Steelers finally went ahead of Jacksonville during the second half, the Democrats came out for their Q and A. I think John Edwards did an impressive job. His agenda item that he seems to focus on more than the other are lobbyists and I think they are a rather important topic. I don't think a lot of regular ol'Americans understand lobbyists and how pervasive and powerful they are. I thought he hit the nail on the head when he said that lobbyists were getting in the way of democracy. When discussing certain possibilities over who the final two might be and who might be their running mates such as an Obama-Edwards ticket or an even stranger match up, Huckabee-Paul, Big A hesitates at the former because from his experience with people from that region, he has doubts the Middle East would listen to a black man. I think he would have a better chance than any woman might (and now with the tragic death of Benezir Bhutto, the number of women involved is zippo)...but then again, I don't think they're really listening to anyone.

Steelers went on to allow Jacksonville to get in field goal range and ended up losing.

7 comments:

Ed said...

What, the candidates are out and about? After they left our state, I have kept low and tried to avoid seeing or hearing about them. My duty is done, it is up to all of the rest of you to decide now.

Murf said...

Not me. I don't do caucuses.

Snakeeater said...

Man, if you think Giuliani and McCain are sniping Romney, you need to watch Clinton and Obama. Those two are going at each other hammer and tong. And Hilly is falling back on Bubba's tried and true tactic--she cried for her audience the other night.

Murf said...

Snake Eater - I saw that last night and John Edwards reaction to it when a reporter asked him about it. She just lost whatever chance she had when she did that.

sage said...

I actually alternated watching both the game and the debates and then cried myself to sleep--partly from the field of candidates of which none excite me and mostly from that blanky-blank fieldgoal!

Ed said...

She just lost whatever chance she had when she did that.

Would you like to rephrase that?

So are you taking part in the upcoming Michigan primaries even if they don't count at the national convention?

Murf said...

I can't believe they fell for that!

No but I am hoping Mitt comes to a venue near me. I want to see his lovely graying temples in person and experience what kind of handshake he has. I'm guessing it's rather weak.