I received a gift card to a bookstore 7 months ago for my birthday and felt an urge to use it all of a sudden. Despite yesterday being my first day back to work since December 21st, I must still be in vacation mode. I decided to live it up last night and went to the bookstore at 7 p.m. Usually I like to do everything on my way home from work. I hate coming home and then turning around to head back out but last night, I was in the mood for some nightlife.
I meander around the bookstore and find the 50% off 2008 calendar that I wanted for the kitchen. Last year it was a calendar on lighthouses which Big A and I both enjoyed. This year was my year to pick so I went retro - Strawberry Shortcake. I continue to meander around the store to find a book special enough to use the $25 gift card on. I hate it when I do this and I do it often when using a gift card. I have no qualms about dropping 10 bucks on a book I never heard of when shopping at the airport magazine stand or spending 20 bucks on a Sage-recommended book through Amazon but I don't dare try out something new when a gift card is being used. The lone book I really wanted I received for Christmas. I browsed through most of the store trying to find a gift card worthy item other than the calendar. I toured the magazines, new releases, cookbooks, computers and even fiction/literature. Nothing that I found I deemed worthy of the gift card. Here's hoping an $18 book that is really, really good is released soon.
4 comments:
Do you need another suggest from a balding man?
I am completely your opposite in this aspect. When I get a gift card, I go get things that I wouldn't normally buy with my own hard earned money. In a book store, I would go with some book based upon the cover and not some review. I got $200 in Menards gift cards and had it spent in about 40 minutes and three fourths of the time was agonizing over which thing that I will hardly ever use that I will use the most.
Sage - Actually you did without even doing it. I should check out more books from the author that wrote The Alchemist....or maybe that should be saved for renting from the library. See, this is what I do.
Ed - So what items did you get that you will hardly use?
A table top lathe.
Post a Comment