Thursday, April 3, 2008

18 years and very little difference

Back in October, I wrote about my Facebook page and the interesting mix of people that I have as friends. Yesterday, I added another one.

Back in high school, I never belonged to one certain group of people. I had friends from the popular crowd, the jokes..I mean, the jocks, the dorks and probably the group that I talked to the most - the misfits; the ones that didn't fit in any real group. Donald was the class clown back in late junior high when he started going to my school and on into high school. I got a kick out of him. Late in high school, we had a health class together in which he made a remark that I remember to this day. He stated that he could always tell when a girl had her period. When I brushed him off, he then said, 'You had yours last week.' He was right and I'm still freaked out about it. After graduation, I often wondered what became of him and thought of him not to long ago actually. Yesterday I noticed that he sent me a friend invite via Facebook. From the picture he has on his page, he has changed so much that I barely recognize him. When I look at it, I remember the other classmates that I have ran into over the last five years - the chubby one trying to dirty dance with her skinny boyfriend on a dance floor or the Cracker Barrel waitress that looks 10 years older than we actually are. They (along with the reactions from friends when I point out that they are classmates of mine) make me realize that I haven't really changed much over the past 18 years.

The thing that I've learned through all this? The key to looking good is not 8 hours of sleep or drinking a lot of water or eating organic food but hanging out with people that look worse than you.

9 comments:

sage said...

I went to my ten year reunion and thought that if my classmates looked that bad after ten, I couldn't stomach what they'd look like after 20 or 30...

Murf said...

But did it make you feel good about yourself or did you look bad after 10 years too? :-)

Ed said...

I've never had a class reunion so I don't know how I look compared to my classmates. Perhaps I'll just continue the streak and live in bliss due to my ignorance on their looks.

Murf said...

You've never run into the other 5 classmates around town?

Ed said...

Our high school and pretty much town doesn't exist anymore. All that is left of Iowaville mainstreet is two blocks with maybe three buildings standing. The school was demolished 3 or 4 years ago. The pupils have scattered to the wind.

sage said...

I looked good back then! :)

Anonymous said...

People always tell me that I look younger than I actually am. I almost thought on my first date that the lady to whom I am now married was going to disqualify me as a potential suitor and husband when she learned that I was eleven years older than she. Most people think I'm five to ten years younger than I am. Perhaps that's because I keep physically active and love children. :)

Murf said...

My mom always said that people without children looked younger for that reason. Perhaps that's it, Tim.

Ed said...

Yeah, I'm been looking a lot older these past 22 months. I can no longer pass for 20 something.