Sunday, October 5, 2008

The amazingness of nature

Unbeknownst to us until recently, the maple tree in the front yard has become a home for bees:

A pretty good-sized home, I might add. I look forward to peeking inside once they have vacated.



Notice that they built the hive around the stems of the leaves.


Amazing in a different way, I read in the paper today that the federal government took the gray wolves off of the endangered species list in March and thanks to the high number of hunters who shot them just for sport in Wyoming since then, are now beginning the process of putting them back on the list.

5 comments:

sage said...

Oh Murf, it's just a piƱata, take a stick to it and see what comes out! That's actually a hornet's nest and I had one last year in one of my maple trees, if you remember.

Murf said...

Bees, wasps, hornets...all the same thing.

I'm glad that they built it there because it's only about 2 feet away from the Lawn Nazi's driveway. Buhahahahaha....

Ed said...

Bees and hornets nest are a big difference. One would provide sweetness for your morning biscuit. The other probably has nothing sweet about it except tormenting a neighbor that needs it.

Taking the wolves off the list was a political thing done by the current occupant that really had nothing to do with population substainability to begin with.

Murf said...

Ed - I love it when you use big words. :-)

Ed said...

I would use more big words if I could spell them.