Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Recap: The 145 minutes spent in Bizarro World

Yes, I was at the high school reunion for a total of about 145 minutes.

The shindig began at 7 and we arrived "fashionably late" at 7:30. More people came trickling in as the evening progressed and the people watching became more fun. Big A leaned over to me and asked if Rodney was always a shmoozer like he was doing last night. I snorted and said no. When Rodney came over, I repeated this question to him and he also snorted and said "No, these motherf&^*ers hated me." Another one of the invisible that was there was Mike R. When I saw him, he shook my hand and my first thought was "Have I grown taller?" I really don't remember him being that much shorter than I (and I had flats on last night). It was funny watching him going around the crowd and shaking everyone's hand. By far, the number of people in the ol' popular crowd outnumbered any other "clique" from 20 years ago. They still seemed to migrate towards each other and not really go out of their way to meet others.

In those 145 minutes, the most repeated comments were: 1) Living 2 doors down from Annie. The best part was when Annie's sister-in-law walks by and says "I didn't know you lived 2 doors down from Annie and Rob." Really? She walked right by me on trash night when she was babysitting and taking the girl for a walk and I was putting the trash can at the curb. 2) How funny I am on Facebook. In fact, I get this comment a lot from nearly everyone that I don't work with and see on a daily basis such as my next door neighbor. Just last week he commented on how funny I am in Facebook. Hello? I've always been funny!

Overall, last night was fun in an odd sort of way. I'm glad I went. After we left, we ran through Burger King for a quick bite and as we were sitting at the kitchen counter eating it at only 10 p.m., I told Big A: "I'm really glad I am who I am." I'm not tan. I'm not in tube top shape. I may not have guys honking at me when I'm walking the dog but I'm o.k. with that (although being closer to tube top shape than I am now wouldn't be bad).

8 comments:

Sage said...

You didn't have munchies that you could snack on and avoid BK afterwards? I wonder if I'll go to my reunion next summer... And I wonder how Big A would report on the reunion?

Murf said...

No munchies. You could order something off of a brief menu or have the restaurant that is owned by the same people deliver...or be like us and say you are leaving for a minute for a quick bite at the other restaurant but in fact, sneak out.

Hmmm...I like that idea of Big A sharing his viewpoint.

Ed said...

That certainly wasn't as exciting as I hoped. I was hoping for a cat fight or something breaking out.

Murf said...

Ed - Well, it continued for another 4 hours after I left but from what I gather from the comments of the other attendees, it sounds like everything was incredibly superficial and ingratiatingly nice. Monica didn't show up so that probably helped a lot.

TC said...

Monica didn't even show up?!?!?!??!

Um, if you're gonna brag about being funny on facebook all the time when you rarely blog these days, you might have to start sharing your facebook info :)

Murf said...

TC - For you, maybe I'll set up a Twitter account and link it here so that you can read my tweets. I'm funnier when limited to a certain number of characters. ;-)

Bone said...

Well with a title like that, you had to know I'd be by. I won two games of Scene It Seinfeld this weekend!

I assume you and Big A agreed on some sort of signal you could use in case one of you got into a bad conversation. Something like head-patting would be fine. Though I prefer the chicken-wing.

TC said...

I think that sounds like a grand idea. Please do it soon.