Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Book Review: Me Talk Pretty One Day

I just got done reading this book and it's pretty easy to review because Sage did it back in 2007 (Geez...am I that behind the times? He already owns a Blackberry and updates his Facebook page while I have to do it from a real, honest to goodness computer) but this book made me laugh out loud during a recent visit to the dentist while waiting for Big A to emerge from having a wisdom tooth removed. He was back so quick that I could barely get into the book, much to my disappointment.

As Sage pointed out, Sedaris doesn't hide the fact that he's gay. I like that about him. He does it in a way that at least to me, who probably has a more liberal viewpoint of that topic in general, seems natural. There is nothing related to sex, it's just stated matter of factly within a story that Hugh is his partner. As with the sex lives of my brothers, Sage, or Ed, I don't go any further than just the fact that they have partners themselves and that somehow 3 out of the 4 have procreated (I'm leaning towards cabbage patch kids).

I loved the first part of the book which dealt with more of his family. My favorite was the story of having to be pulled from class due to his speech "impediment". I remember being yanked from mine because me and the letter 'r' were not friends. I would sit with Mr. Frieze in a small room practicing and after a good session, I would get so many tokens and when I had a certain amount, I could redeem them for things like candy, pencils, etc. I always saved up just enough to get the handful of Whoppers. I hear nowadays that kids are no longer "segregated" like that and instead, are worked with inside the classroom. I guess pulling them to a separate area inside the classroom isn't as polarizing as removing them from the room completely. I guess whomever thought this up was never segregated for any reason. It's just as bad.

The last half of the book dealt with his time spent in France. I think this was the weakest part of the book. The highlight of the weakest part is the telling of the story of standing next to an American couple on a crowded train in France. They assumed that he was French and would not understand English as the man badmouthed French people in general and then thought David was trying to steal his wife's purse.

I'm now on the wait list at the library for his most recent book, When You Are Engulfed In Flames. It's again a collection of chapter-length stories about his family and France. Perfect for those of us who have the attention span of a gnat!

6 comments:

Shan! said...

Of the few books I've read in my adult life, this is one of them. I read a story each night before bed. And sometimes it had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Murf said...

From a non-reader like yourself, THAT is a ringing endorsement. He really should put this on the back of his book along with the other literary reviews. :-)

sage said...

It was a good book. You didn't point out, however, that even though he wasn't born in North Carolina, he grew up there! I didn't realize I was that impressive with my recent leap into more advance technology. You make me ou to be ahead of the curve, my duaghter thinks I'm hopelessly lost in the 19th century.

malor said...

Love this book. Love Sedaris.

TC said...

Sage is updating facebook from his blackberry? Is he gonna get a twitter account next?

(Apparently I need to find Sage on facebook.)

Murf said...

TC - And don't forget me! I'm funny on Facebook. ;-)