Tomorrow will be an especially manic Monday - I have a job interview via the telephone for a "Performance Support Analyst" position with my current employer but in a completely different department. Off topic a bit: I am continuously amazed at all the different titles there are for the same concept - writing procedures/instructions.
I was contacted about this job interview on Thursday while in the midst of a flu stupor (to which the call promptly snapped me out of) and thinking it was an in-person one, I declined the 8 a.m. time slot that was available the next morning. It was only near the end of the conversation when I learned it was a telephone interview. Now I was faced with a second dilemma (the first being the prospect of showing up at a job interview with the chills): I don't use my work email or phone number on my resume, so where should this telephone interview take place? Initially I had the person I was speaking to update it to my work one but then I got to feeling that it was a bit odd to do this kind of thing while in the middle of cubicle world. I'm assuming this will be pretty superficial and just another step to shrink the job applicant pool but still, it felt weird (and my boss does know about this so that wasn't part of the weird factor but she did offer her office). While talking to our department's secretary, she informed me that the conference rooms on our floor all have phones. She was kind enough to see if the one that no one likes to use was available (it was), reserve it for me, and check the phone to make sure it was a) working and b) the phone number was correct. Once confirmed, I called the person that I spoke with and told her that I had found a more secure location and updated my phone number.
Now the last kinda sorta but not really dilemma (at least one that probably isn't a valid dilemma at this stage but I like to do advance worrying sometimes): This morning, I noticed a single line in the job posting that I had failed to see over the past 2 weeks when reading it:
As part of the interview process, a writing test and group presentation will be required.
Uh oh. I don't fear the writing test but a group presentation?!? I then got worried about the job description that before had failed to worry me about leading training projects. After having this thought preoccupy me for a mere 10 hours today (I'm not a big fan of people looking at me AND listening to me), I realized that the training classes are most likely held in training rooms, on a computer and with a simulation of the real software. No one will be really sitting and staring at me while listening to me. They will be looking at their handouts (written by yours truly) and computer screen while my midwest lilt just goes in the ears. Heck, depending on how they learn, some might not even hear anything I say as they work strictly from the training material. Perfect! I doubt, however, that the presentation in the job interview will be like this but if all goes well tomorrow, maybe I will get the chance to see and at that time, really fret about it.
Come tomorrow at 1 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, your Murf will be trying to wow another female but one that has a hyphenated last name (a notoriously tough lot, those hyphenated last name females are). Keep your fingers crossed!
10 comments:
Good luck on the job.
Well, aren't you the SME (subject matter expert). If they don't behave, tell em to go sit in the corner.
Hell, I use to give presentations / classes to captive audiences of 200 people. Let me rephrase that. I was the NCO giving the class; and people were basic trainees. When I have a high and tight haircut, I am not the friendliest looking person; worked to my advantage. Not suggesting you get a high and tight.
Good luck !!
Look at you knowing what a SME is. Impressive.
I have a feeling that should the right situation present itself, you could still be not the friendliest looking person even with hair. :-)
Unless you get someone like me. I sit back and pay attention during the presentation because I find if I look at the computer during the talk, the words travel in one ear and out the other. My piercing blue eyes would be especially disconcerting.
Except that when you walked in, I noticed that your boots were brown and your belt was black. I no longer even see you. :-)
Good luck, Murf!
By the way, I've put you down as a reference. You have to answer your phone "Vandelay Industries."
You're in latex.
Thanks, Bone!
I'm an importer/exporter. I can't help you if someone else answers the phone though. I will be there to pick you up off of the floor when you fall after running out of the bathroom with your pants around your ankles though.
*Sigh* I miss George.
Me too. One of our local TV stations used to show it every weekday night at 7:30 but it got bumped for a dumb Craig Kilborn show. :-(
I hope all went well.
Cheers.
It comes on like four times a night here. I feel spoiled.
Post a Comment