The original email:
Murf,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview for the position. We have been fortunate to have a number of strong candidates apply for this position and have decided at this time to focus our search toward other candidates whose qualifications better fit the requirements of our position opening.
Again, thank you for your interest in employment at [insert name of current employer].
Kelly
The response I wish I could send:
Kelly,
Thank you for taking the time to insert my name into a form email. During our 25 minute telephone chat, we talked extensively about my job so unless you were doodling on a piece of paper as I was, you should know that I am already employed here. You also complimented me on my cover letter and resume so again, you must've read it and hence, know that I work here. Just a bit of advice...you might want a form email for internal and external candidates. Otherwise, you're likely to be the butt of a few jokes and/or blog entries.
Murf
Lastly, a funny little bit courtesy of The Onion.
7 comments:
Ah, yes. Nothing like demonstrating irrefutably that one is a bad listener.
I trust "Kelly" is a fake name, in case s/he does try to track you down.
Cheers.
R.- Uh...yeah...fake name...that's right. :-)
So, what's holding you back from sending "The Response I Wish I Could Send" ?
Or, send it anonymously.
I sent a letter of similar sarcastic nature once to a potential employer, actually to the president of the potential employer. It raised a lot of feathers and I was politely told never to contact them again. But in the end, it felt SO GOOD to send it.
Murf, nice letter but I really feel like I should be writing it for you...
Ed, was the "do not contact" request sent from the company's attorney? One named Randall (real name)? :)
Sage - Have at it. :-)
Sage - It was from the firm they went through to hire me, the same one that jerked my chains for four weeks before telling me the position had been filled when it hadn't. A quick internet search allowed me to bypass them and let the president of said company know what a terrible job the hiring firm was doing which laid to the "do not contact" response.
Post a Comment