Once we realized that we had to park in the owner's driveway, we headed in and were then met with a lot of things. For a moment, I had horrible flashbacks to when I cleaned out my parents basement before I came to my senses and started exploring. It was part hobby shop and part museum. Big A and I have a horrible habit of going on road trips with little cash and getting into situations where we wish we had some. The Train Barn was on such occasion. Unbeknownst to us, there was a cover charge to see the trains. $3. After scraping everything we could find, we had $5 but at this time, the owner was already upstairs and running the trains so we headed up and worried about it later. It was quite the sight. The 75 year old owner and creator explained how he built most of the buildings to scale and was talking to Big A about ratios when building something to scale which hovered way to close to math so I took off to look around. The most entertaining tidbit was that his wife built most of the landscape and did the painting. I guess they were looking for some kind of joint hobby as well. Below are a few pictures of this renovated hayloft:





And finally, the best of the bunch taken by yours truly:

I loved the trestle and suspension bridges that he had which crossed over an opening down to the first floor along with some type of WWII airplane which you can kind of see behind the train. I can see how this hobby could quickly get out of hand so while I'd love to incorporate them into our design and I enjoyed the trip to the Train Barn (where Big A purchased his first train car - an orange caboose), I really appreciate our little 4'x6' layout.
In case you were wondering, thanks to the purchase of the $12 caboose, we felt a bit better about having to use the ol' Visa for both the price of admission and that. It was surprising to see that in amongst all the old artifacts like the really ancient cash register, the owner pulled out a modern credit card machine.
5 comments:
You will have to see the model railraod at the Chicago Museum of Industry!
As for Portage, I don't think Stryker (I can't say it without thinking of the guy on the movie Airplane) is their largest employer. Even after cuts, there are still lots of Pfizer employees there. On another note, my neice who is majoring in bio-medical engineering is flying up here on Thursday to interview for a summer intership with Stryker.
Priceless!
Sorry I couldn't resist. Did you ever ask how many hours he had into his setup? Also, what mountain range is in central Michigan that he modeled up in his set?
i believe he added on the back of the barn in 1995 which represent the first 2 pics, and I think he said he started in the 80's on the whole project.
I guess you and Murf are in this hobby for the long haul then.
Well, if Big A thinks I'll be as involved as this guy's wife was/is, he's got another think coming. :-)
Post a Comment