Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One year ago today...

Big A began the rest of his life.

It was on July 2 that he went in with a doctor's note for his back since he missed more than two days of work. He was planning to return the following Monday when his work called about getting the paperwork done before he returned so he made a special trip in. Lo and behold, it was all a ploy. They ended up permanently laying him off instead. 15 years and all he got was an escorted walk out of the terminal, a handshake and a good luck wish. He never even got to clean out his locker (which he didn't use anyway since he lived out of his backpack) nor say good bye to his few favorite coworkers or his favorite seat in the break room.

Over the past year, there have been ups and downs. Mainly the downs were just money worries but thankfully we've made it this far with minimal additional debt compared to other U.S. families I hear about on the news which I keep telling myself on the nights when I sleep fretfully or wake up and the first thought is the balance in the checkbook and when the next payday is. The ups, as I see them, is the chance for him to be whatever he wants to be and getting approved by the state for them to pay for his Associate's degree. If you ask him, there are no ups because as of yet, he hasn't even found a part-time job and he hates having his wife support him. During this past snowy winter and the recent hot and humid days, he does relish the fact that his employer made the decision for him because if it was up to him, he probably would have never left. Complacency is a horrible thing. I know.

Once the unemployment checks started rolling in, things seemed relatively normal. It wasn't until they stopped in January that the real 'fun' began but so far so good.

As we look to the next year, perhaps the worst is behind us and things can only get better. I will be hitting the job market full force looking for technical writing jobs pretty much anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (except perhaps Quebec...but that may be a fun adventure until they want me to write in French) later this month as Big A starts his first full semester of classes in the fall and perhaps finally finds a job with flexible hours. As we keep telling each other when the other is fretting, we will be in a much better spot shortly. Just hold on!

4 comments:

Ed said...

I've been in Big A's shoes before and didn't like it so I know how he feels.

As long as you are willing to move just about anywhere, getting a job shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Severing the roots that grow in a community is always the hardest.

Murf said...

Especially when the community includes that house that you've lived in for 37 years. I figure it's best if I try not to think about that too much.

sage said...

Blessings to you and Big A, may the future be bright!

Murf said...

Why, Sage that was sweet of you. You must be well-rested on that vacation of yours. ;-)