Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Better than Clark Griswold's Christmas bonus

Big A was just notified via the United States Postal Service this afternoon that his emergency unemployment has been extended for 20 weeks. That's 5 months! Currently, the checking account has a whopping $60 in it which has to last for another week and a half until my next pay day (savings has a bit more but that's for January's car insurance bill) and some bills that will have to wait (the Christmas tree set us back a bit but how can one not have a Christmas tree?). This lovely little letter couldn't have come at a better time. As I told Big A, it's almost as if someone is watching over him. His schooling is paid for, his books are paid for (isn't it odd that the state will only purchase NEW books? I would have thought for sure they would only settle for new if there weren't any overpriced used books available), this is his 2nd emergency continuation of his original unemployment of 1.5 years ago and neither time did we instigate this continuation. Both times it came to us as a letter. After I mentioned this to him, he just gave me the usual skeptical look that he has whenever the topic of a higher power is mentioned. Or maybe it's just the U.S. taxpayer. Thanks, U.S. taxpayer. You have just guaranteed me the first good nights sleep in a couple of weeks and really, that's a good thing and you should be happy to pay taxes for that. You don't want to see me cranky.

7 comments:

sage said...

How much longer does he have in school? It's been tough to find a job in MI for some time, now it seems that it's tough everywhere. Good luck.

Murf said...

He's scheduled to be done by May of 2010. Hopefully things will have perked up by then...or I have found a decent technical writer job anywhere in the continental U.S.

Ed said...

Thinks are kind of ugly looking right now and I count my blessings at 3:30 everyday when I walk out the door without a pink slip. I've been there and done that and really don't care to do it again.

Murf said...

From what I can tell from the job postings in the classified section of the newspaper, you Engineers are in demand. I don't mind tinkering but if only math wasn't a job requirement to be one.

Ed said...

You must be reading the India Times Classifieds because all the engineering jobs are going over there.

Murf said...

Actually the Ann Arbor News. Maybe you should move here. Free babysitting!

Ed said...

chirp, chirp, chirp or however you spell the sounds that crickets make.