I love having short hair. Unlike popular belief, bedhead is still an issue. Perhaps even more so than if it was longer because inevitably I resemble Alfalfa when I wake up. But there is another hurdle besides extreme bedhead.
Recently at the gym, I saw a woman that I hadn't seen there in awhile. I don't know her name but if you go there regularly, inevitably there are others that are usually there at the same time. She had lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw her and looked really good. While working out and listening to my iPod, sometimes my mind wanders as another way of passing the time. On this day, I got into an internal discussion on what is the proper way of going up to a complete stranger and telling her that she looks good and using that phrase exactly like most females do when they notice someone shrinking. I then realized that as someone with really short hair, this could become misconstrued. Would she think I was hitting on her? Judging from her looks, I couldn't be assured that she played for the same team as I do. It is for reasons like this that I forgo wearing flannel shirts and try not to show off my knowledge of 1980-early 1990's baseball, basketball or football knowledge that I gained from living in a household that was three-fifths men. By wearing a flannel shirt and dropping the name "Kent Hrbek", would that be a red flag to others that I don't appreciate the male form? Should I even care? The answer to those is yes, it probably would be a red flag and yes, I do care.
So as I am on the stationary bike, having this discussion with myself, time flies and she leaves and I never tell her that she looks good.
Today I run into her in the locker room as we both prepare to leave and have an odd encounter. She sees that I have a bag with the letter 'M' on it and asks if I ordered that through Lands End since they can monogram anything that isn't tied down. I said no, that I had actually found it at Meijer (a local grocery/stereo equipment/car battery kind of store) and liked it because it had the 'M' on it. After a few seconds of silence, she then asks what my name is. I tell her and more silence follows. No offering of her name (yes, I could've asked but deep down, I don't really care) so I fill in the silence by saying that the 'M' could actually stand for Meijer more than it being made for the millions of people with M names and then silence ensues until she's bundled up and as she leaves, we exchange the usual "stay warm", "see you later", etc.
The lines of communication were opened but it definitely didn't feel like the right time to say that she looked really good.
9 comments:
I love that you had an awkward gym run-in too :)
I miss flannel. Please bring back flannel. Sigh.
OK, sorry, tangent. I think that next time you see her, just say something like "Hey, I've been meaning to tell you that it's really obvious the frequent workouts are doing you good. Keep up the good work!" It doesn't sound like you're hitting on her: just like maybe you've been there and need to know someone actually notices?
(Or you could do what I do and totally avoid conversations at the gym.)
TC - I'm leaning towards your second idea or as a third option...the funny thing about the eliptical (which is on today's schedule and not the bike) is that I go completely blank when on it. Maybe I should just stick to that machine and stop thinking.
Just say cute ass and get the awkwardness out of the way on the get go. At least that is what I would do for a female that has lost a lot of weight. ;)
Glad to see you are still alive and kickin'.
Oh, Ed. Did you miss me? :-)
Let me say that reading about two gym experiences from two women (you and TC) in one day is weird! As for the hair, I think you know where I and most of the other half of the human race stand. :)
That was odd, wasn't it? I'm hooked on the Chica now. She's fun.
Big A is a special breed since he falls into the category of preferring the really short hair.
I did miss you pointing out the obscure of some long ago post.
Both you and Sage got me to reading TC's posts the other day. I may have to start reading her blog more often.
My shining moment comment-wise was when you got the minivan and I proved you hypocritical. ;-)
Post a Comment