Sunday, December 7, 2008

Scenes from our 2008 Christmas tree cutting expedition*

* My apologies to anyone who has Facebook that has already seen these.


I-94 in the snow



Notice the tire tracks in the median. What a great day to drive 30 miles to cut a tree.



Heading to the tree farm



It's a tad bit chilly.



Heading oot to find the perfect tree.



Still going...



Found it!



Another annual tradition is lunch afterwards at Cleary's Pub.



The decorated tree.

10 comments:

sage said...

Looks like fun, we put our tree up last week, will have to get a photo of it...

Ed said...

That is a pretty nice looking tree. I like your tradition of eating afterwards at a pub. I'll have to try adding that to my family's outing next year. Of course that means a 60 mile drive to get to a pub, probably 120 miles to the nearest Irish one.

Murf said...

Sage - I always picture you with the Charlie Brown type of Christmas tree.

Ed - Thanks! I broke a 37 year tradition and went with white lights instead of multi-colored. I think I like it better. This is the first time since Hooch jumped out of the window 4 years ago that we put it back in this spot. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

sage said...

A Charlie Brown tree, who do you think I am? I have always used white lights, even when I had to excerise the "man-of-the-house" veto!

Murf said...

She allows you to have a "man-of-the-house" veto? There must be something in it for her. ;-)

Ed said...

We have pearl and red lights on ours. I wouldn't mind just having white lights since the red lights are lost on me with a red/green colorblindness.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're preparing for a joyous Christmas! We still have many reasons to celebrate and God's coming into this world is not the least of these. :)

Hill Billy Rave said...

Christmas trees are for sissies. Bahumbug. But Seriously, back in the day when I was Mr. Family we always cut ours after dark. Everyone was in a hurry to get it up. It either worked out after work or, a day that someone was hunting the field we got our trees from, my Ex's Uncles place. So, it got cut in the dark.
Every year some woman in the family asks if I have a tree up...I'm a guy, I live alone...I don't need no stinking Christmas Tree! But once upon a time, it was fun with the kids.

sage said...

Yeah, there's something in it for her, she doesn't have to put it up, she hate decorating, so it falls on my daughter and I...

And now I know how the Appalachianist got those pretty trees, he picks out the best he can find from a well manicured lawn and cuts it down in the middle of the night! It's also cheaper (provided you don't get caught)

Murf said...

A.I. - Oh it would be fun again if you had a female that's around longer than a week and that week happens to be over Christmas and she makes you get a tree. You can grunt and curse as you're trying to get it straight and she would be so impressed with your manliness that she makes it worth your while after. See, we know how to get our way. :-)

Sage - She hates decorating?! Unbelievable.