* Last weekend, my aunt held a little get together at her place. Big A and I ended up sitting around most of the night, listening to old stories told by her and her daughter. It would have been a bit more interesting if it were old stories about the whole family but they just told the ones that had to do with them. After about 15 minutes, I began ignoring them and making conversation with others around me. Upon leaving, I realized that all they talked about that night was the past. Very little about the present and nothing about the future. When my aunt and I were alone in the house for a minute, she asked me how work was and I was starting in on telling her about school and how I'm thinking it's time for me to move elsewhere when someone came in and the conversation changed and never went back to that. I've discovered that the more interaction I have with family or friends, the more I feel that there is nothing to keep me here. All this superficial stuff is just tiring and can just as easily be shared over the phone or via email. The Wendy's Guy once posted his schedule for the upcoming year. I won't go into that much detail but I do know that by the time I'm 40, I'll be living somewhere different. I'm thinking I'd really like to live around Nashville. The only thing I would miss would be access to Canadian TV.
* In addition, I learned through their stories of the past, that they had gone out to their favorite restaurant when my cousin was back in town and somehow, my brother and sister-in-law were invited and were there but not Big A and I. I asked my brother about this dinner and he said it was back in February or so. I've been racking my brain to remember if I ever got the invite and just couldn't make it for some reason but since I see my cousin so rarely, any time she's in town is important enough to set aside most other things so I'm assuming we weren't invited. I was upset about this on the way home. This reminds me of when I was about to get married and these women went to my older brother regarding Big A and how I can keep the money I have safe from him. I can only imagine it's still residual stuff from that blow up. Also, when I was leaving, my aunt made a sad face about how she never gets to see me. I make numerous attempts that usually end with 'Well, call me when you are free/back from your second home in Florida and we'll do lunch/dinner' and I never get a call. They complain about how far I live (a whopping 30 minutes), yet they drive by my brother's house constantly and he lives about 20 minutes from them. I don't get these people.
* I have feet issues. I judge others but I don't like to share my own for others to judge. It has only been in the last few years that I've worn sandals where my toes have been displayed (but never fully) but I don't like people looking at them. As I was leaving this shindig, somehow my feet came up in passing and I pointed out to my cousin and her daughter and her daughter's girlfriend that wasn't it strange to see me in sandals and my dislike of showing my feet became known and then her daughter's girlfriend piped up that I had cute feet. If a lesbian thinks that, it must be true.
* I just finished my work book club book for August - The Grapes of Wrath. This book made me search on the internet about what makes a book a 'classic'. It seems to be that no one knows so my questioning of this being a classic continues. I didn't really like this book but it did make me wonder whatever became of the family. At the end, it seemed that they were slowly disintegrating. Are we to assume that eventually, everyone went their own separate ways, never to find each other again or will they eventually die of starvation? Was it wise of Rose of Sharon to breastfeed the grown man who was near death only so he could resume the horrible life of a migrant worker and drag his young son through that life as well?
4 comments:
now I will feel guilty about posting about the past in my blog... well, not too guilty.
The Grapes of Wrath is a wonderful book. Rose of Sharon offes life and hope the only way she can. It is a classic (maybe I need to reread it, it's been 4 years since I last read it!)
Cool, I'm blogging to a rich person or at least someone who has relatives worried about keeping your fortune safe from your husband.
I'm someone who puts down roots fairly easily and just hates to move. But I have had to do it several times over the years and it is never bad and most of the time, a year later I am happy I did. The best benefit to moving some place new is the ability to create yourself over again. You can get rid of past mistakes and hide those parts of your past that you want to and nobody knows differently.
My definition of a classic is a book that I can go back and read every five years or so and still get as much enjoyment out of it as the first time. Although Grapes of Wrath never did that for me, Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" has.
Ed, I've reread many parts of both Desert Solitaire and Grapes of Wrath
Ed - I think the relatives thought that the fortune was greater than it actually was. Who was I to burst their bubble?
That is one thing I've always wanted to move and do - become someone new. It's probably cheaper than plastic surgery.
Post a Comment