Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Being fiscally responsible at Christmastime sucks (pardon the French)

When November hit and Big A was still without any job or job prospects for that matter, I got to thinking about Christmas. I realize that it's not about the gifts but dang it, I'm a great gift giver and I love giving them so it is but with only one and a quarter income, I knew it wouldn't be prudent to buy for everyone as I had been. I hated to admit to it but I knew I had to bring this up to the brothers. I finally bit the bullet and sent an email out to them asking if perhaps we just buy each couple a joint gift like a gift certificate for dinner, Seinfeld DVD, sex toys...ok, maybe not the last one but something that can be enjoyed by the couple as a whole while continuing to get things for the two nephews. Once I hit send, I was verklempt for the next 24 hours. It was really hard for me to admit to something like that plus I always hate it when Christmas changes. My ideal Christmas would still mean tons of gifts under the tree. My younger brother liked the idea while my older brother said that he and his wife wanted us to just add what we would have given them to the boys. When P wrote that, J brought up the idea of perhaps just not exchanging gifts and just giving to the nephews. I agreed because fiscally, that would be the easiest. In addition, Big A and I decided to just to stocking stuffers and coupons for things that the other one likes to have done and perhaps the other needs to do more like, for example, me making Big A breakfast on a weekend morning. A couple weekends ago, I asked if he would like me to make him breakfast and he had me repeat it about 6 times because he couldn't believe it. Another coupon would be for a 15 minute use of the handheld back massager on him but without using it on his head which hurts him but for some reason, cracks me up plus my attention span doesn't normally allow for more than about 3 minutes of it. Things like that. I'm hoping that coming up with witty coupons and wrapping the nephews gifts early will ease the glaring emptiness of under the tree. Either that or I should have splurged on a tree skirt with pretty pictures on it that I wouldn't want to cover up rather than the plain red one that has been used for as long as I can remember. Heck, even the old cat that loved to lay on it isn't here to fill in the area this year.

4 comments:

Ed said...

Hey, what's wrong with a plain red tree skirt?

My brother and I have had a Christmas gift giving truce for our entire lives. We also usually go in together and get our parents a joint gift. It saves a lot of fretting about what to get and wondering what the other one is getting. So that leaves me mostly with just the wife's present to worry about. All the others are usually food related items or for children which are a lot easier to shop for.

Murf said...

I'm sure your wife is easy to buy for. You're just not picking up the hints that she drops through the year. :-)

sage said...

We declared a truce of sibling and kid gift giving about the time I started having kids--I think my kids got cheated! A red skirt and a train keeps from having presents stuck under the tree and this year we're so far behind in wrapping that the only ones wrapped have been all the ones mailed out :(

Will Big A be better than most Americans at redeeming gift certificates or will they go unused, allowing you to get off the hook of a massage (and besides, only 15 minutes?)

Murf said...

No, I'm sure he will use them. I will have to include a precursor on the ones that involve food stating that redeeming it will need either 48 hours notice or him going to the grocery store for the ingredients. :-)

I thought 15 minutes was very generous considering the device is either exceptionally heavy or my arms are exceptionally weak. I'm not even sure if I can go 15 minutes holding that thing.