Thursday, December 6, 2007

Boundaries and bad video games

A few months back, I realized I was blogging a lot when I tried to use my Blogger sign in information for work stuff. Just now, I've realized that I'm working too much because I just tried to log in with my work password. I'm going to have to remedy that.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing exciting is going on but if you love minutiae as I do, every day is exciting. Why, just today a fellow clerical told me that where we put our work for it to be imaged will need to be moved because they have to put their plants there for the light. I then inquired where this particular table would be going. She said it would be right around the corner. So why not just put the 'to be imaged' stuff there, inquired I. "No", says the Connie the clerical with finality in her voice. Uh...ok. You'll have to deal with the boss, chicka. I'm out on this "executive decision". A lot of my unhappiness at work is because of the confines that are in place for clericals. You can't see them or touch them but they are there. To the people who don't have lofty goals (or just any goals at all, lofty or otherwise), this is fine. They'll just work there until they die or retire. For me, it's the motivating factor to getting out. I have ideas and I want to finally be heard. I laugh at Connie the clerical thinking that she is bigger than her title. She isn't. She just has a boss that lets her think that she has a say in matters. I didn't feel like being the one to bust her bubble on that today.

Next week is the last week of class for Fall semester. I find it hard to believe that when these classes began at the end of August, I felt mid-December was a long, long way off. After these, I now have 3 classes left, two of which I am taking in the winter semester. Awhile back, I debated on working 4 ten hour days instead of 5 eights but I really love getting out at 3 p.m. It feels like I still have a large portion of the day left to do stuff. Thanks to one of the classes being offered only at one time and in the late morning at that, I'm switching to 4 ten hour days come the new year. I will have Thursday off. I have a feeling that I will forget about my class that day and spend all day just puttering.

As I was heading into my Advanced Word class last night, I got to thinking how no one really knows me or my name in that class. We sort of talk and laugh as we are waiting for the classroom to be unlocked and that's about it. To my surprise, two of my classmates used my name last night. There goes my anonymity. Now I just feel like a self-involved jerk since I'm not 100% sure of their names. I'm pretty sure one is Margelina and I think the other is Charlene but I'm not feeling confident on that but I do know that she has a grown son who recently toured Europe and she is a high scorer on Guitar Hero. That must count for something, eh?

Still to come: Part II of my Thanksgiving vacation

6 comments:

sage said...

we're still waiting for part two--the part where you get in trouble as being a yankee--until then we'll have to be content with where they put the table for stuff to be scanned (I thought I could get into detail, but this is absurd... :)

Ed said...

Maybe all that is a product of working in an office full of females. Our office has one token female and there are no discussions about where plants go or anything else goes for that matter. When my next door neighbor moved a year ago, I got a screwdriver and expanded my cubicle a foot. Not because I wanted the room but because I wanted the entire window that we had previously shared. No one ever said a word.

Murf said...

Any woman will tell you that it's easier to work for a man than it is to work for a woman. I'm assuming that extends into departments that are primarily men.

Ed said...

I suppose. The token woman in our department doesn't work. She plays solitaire all day and her computer screen faces the printer pod so everyone can see it. I can only assume she sleeps with her boss who also uses the printer pod to have avoided getting fired or at least written up after all these years. How can someone play solitaire eight hours a day anyway without getting bored enough to commit suicide?

Murf said...

Is she older? Perhaps she's just waiting until Social Security kicks in.

Ed said...

She says she is old but she is probably only in her very early 40's. She is just lazy.