I could go on and on with examples but if you are reading this, chances are that you are aware of these quirks of mine so I will leave it at that. If not, by the end of this entry you will be.
My upcoming train tour of Agawa Canyon in Northern Ontario has me worried. The only specific mention of a restroom on this 10 hour trip on the website is this:

I'm a bit concerned that the info includes the fact that this train has a dining car, a cafe car and a souvenir car but no mention of bathrooms. If I remember correctly, Ed Abbey once included a bit about the bathroom on a train that he was on but thankfully, I couldn't find it to be reminded of how horrible it may have been. On the other hand, because the train is Canadian National and not Amtrak perhaps it's a bit nicer than what I remember his experience to be.
Once the train reaches the bottom of the canyon, we can exit for about 2 hours to look around, eat lunch, hike, etc. at Canyon Park. I'm really not looking forward to their restrooms. According to the description, it has a special type of environmentally friendly restroom called a Clivus Multrum that some how produces wonderful compost that the park uses in their flower beds. Just close the lid and walk away. No flushing involved. I'm happy to hear that it's a somewhat normal toilet (i.e. has a lid) but I hope there's a locking door involved and not that type of outdoor restroom you run across occasionally at scenic lookouts that involve 3 foot high walls and a 2 foot maze leading up the toilet. Just in case, I'll have to get my whistling or my throat clearing ability warmed up.
4 comments:
I checked but my train bathroom comments were only made in passing while talking on different subjects, i.e. train talkers and train walkers. From what I remember, the train bathrooms were just like those in an airplane but just slightly bigger.... slightly.
The bathroom in the canyon sounds like a wordy version of an outhouse. Add noseplugs to your packing list.
Just be thankful you aren't on a NOLS course and have to pack out your own excriment in ziplock plastic bags!
Murf, I've seen some pretty impressive toilets as those mentioned--they generally cook the waste (via solar) to kill off anything harmful stuff... I wonder how they do it there since they also run a winter train and they'd not get much solar that far north.
Ed, in many of the canyons in the SW, you now have to take a special poop bag... doubt Murf will be taking up canyon hiking
Sage - I have faith in my ability to hold it until I return to civilization. I went all 4 years of high school never using the bathroom. :-)
Murf - That last sentence just blows my mind.
Post a Comment