Monday, March 16, 2009

Tonight's entry is brought to you by Target

Now that the weather has turned warmer (at least currently...Thursday it is suppose to be back to the 30's), it's time to walk the fence line (it's a much, much, much shorter route than whenever Ed talks about doing so on the farm) and pick up piles of solid waste that emerges when the snow melts. The first Hooch winter, I attempted this once a week and realized, despite being really bad at all things science, that it was futile. You have the warm waste...the cold snow...usually I ended up with a broken scooper so I decide to enjoy the winter. Usually in the past, the result has been 6 very full Target bags. Today however...


...only 3.5. Technically it could have been 3.75 since I missed a couple that I noticed while raking but they were fossilized and shouldn't be a problem for anyone until I make my next rounds. I chalk the low number due to a thaw in January in which I carpe diemed and picked some up.

I love Target so using their bags isn't a political statement. They just make great poop bags. There is a local grocery store that also makes good, solid plastic bags. The worse bags to use are those from Home Depot.

Just some things that you learn along the way that I love sharing with others on the off chance it enlightens them. I'm all about sharing things I've learned.

Completely off topic, Little Big A made it outside for a moment on this lovely upper 50's day:


One of these days, he's either going to learn to stretch more to hit the handle and let himself out or use his 25 pounds and body slam the door. I'd wager more on the latter.

7 comments:

Ed said...

Target bags rock! We always hang onto those.

I took the easy way with Ted. I just taught him to crap in a part of the lawn that we never used other than to roll over it with a riding lawn mower. The grass was always greener... in clumps... on that side of the yard.

So I have a question for you. If you transferred all that into a paper sack, put it on your Lawn Nazi's doorstep, lit it on fire and rang the doorbell.... do you think he would stomp on it?

TC said...

Wow, that cat is HUGE!!!! I never saw a cat that big that wasn't pregnant :)

Murf said...

Ed - I don't think he's that quick. He really moooovees sloooow so I have a feeling it would burn out as he was standing there, staring at it and wondering what to do with it.

TC - He is a big boy. If he's pregnant, he's been knocked up for the past 2 years and just the fact that he is a he should make him worthwhile of being on the cover of the National Enquirer. We adopted him nearly 2 years ago and even with only getting one cup of food, he hasn't dropped much weight. He's just pleasantly husky. :-)

Bone said...

Well that was sort of going to be my question:

Upon whose porch wilt thou lighteth these bags on fire?

sage said...

Since you obviously aren't going to burn plastic (because you know it ain't good for the environment) and your neighbor doesn't move quick enough anyway, are you going to compost it?

Murf said...

Sage - I've read that meat eaters do not make good composters, especially meat eaters eat dry dog food that has fillers and other things in it so it gets thrown out in the trash. Judging from some of the already fossilizing piles, I think the plastic bags will last much longer than the contents.

TC said...

We need a Murf update.