Traveling Chica's sad
post about her buddy Cappy made me miss my little gilled friends:
#9, my little baking buddy (with Big A's first cat, Indiana). We buried him outside with the castle from his bowl as the marker. It's still there.
The first year of our pond, we got "feeder fish". I prefer to think of them less in terms of what the fish store sold them as but instead, goldfish. We kept them in the pond all year. Over winter, they head to the bottom and hibernate as the water freezes above them. However, due to a warm trend, most came to the top too soon. Only Ben made it out of the dozens that we had.Year 2 of the pond brought Ben and two koi - Franco and Goldie. She had a tragic end - she was either suicidal or she blew out of the water during a storm. I can't find the picture of Goldie but I memorialized her in happier days in crayon:

Because Ben made it through that tragic first winter, we brought him and Franco in for the following one. Their tank wasn't full of sunken ships or hot pink rocks but as you can see, Ben still felt at home (and everybody does poop).

The third and last year of the pond brought Ben, Franco and the newest addition: Thor.
I take comfort in knowing that all three went together. Cursed food chain!
4 comments:
I'm impressed that Indiana could just sit there next to #9 without doing anything! Good kitty! (Tag was considering a cat, but wouldn't get one while Cappy was still alive 'cuz she was afraid the cat would go crazy with his tank.)
That coloring is precious. You did a great job immortalizing her.
Fish really need to live longer. Seriously.
I prefer my fish, lightly breaded and served over rice with a spicy white shrimp sauce.
Back in the day when I had fish in captivity, I was kind of shocked at how brutal they can be to each other. I guess that is why I took to eating them instead of watching them.
I've cared for two fish in my life. Their names were Pablo Picasso and GabeKaplan.
They die too young, so right now I'm taking a hiatus from fish keeping.
I have already thought of a name for my next fish, though. And I am revealing it here today, on Murf's blog. You're the premiere. Isn't it exciting?
OK, OK, are you ready? Here it is.
Barring unforeseen circumstances or me changing my mind, my next fish shall be named:
Eddie Haskell
It is exciting. I feel so honored and truth be told, I kind of always had the hots for Eddie Haskell so I approve the name selection.
Post a Comment