Our limits on what we eat came head to head on Saturday for me and Big A. We were taking Big A's mom to the state capital to the Michigan Historical Museum as her birthday/Mother's Day gift. As we usually do, the road trip began at Cracker Barrel. I was good and had really blah oatmeal with maple syrup, foregoing the much tastier brown sugar addition. Big A had the Grandpa's Breakfast and he tried to not have the accompanying biscuits arrive (he chose no bread other than pita as one of the things he gave up) but I don't think the waitress caught on. She told him biscuits or toast come with it so with very little pressure, he relented.
When the food arrived, I took one of his biscuits (I'm not dumb enough to make bread one of the things that I'll give up despite the refined sugar thing. If the ingredients aren't listed, I'm going to assume all bread is made with honey. This kind of mind game works for me.) and when I looked over, there he was, starting to split one in half. I didn't say anything but I gave him 'the look' while tapping my oatmeal bowl loudly to get his attention. The MIL probably thought that something's wrong with me because as he continued to butter it, the tapping got louder and faster. By the time he put the half a biscuit in his mouth, the tapping of the spoon on the oatmeal bowl was one continuous sound. I was aghast that he ate that right in front of my face while I had to suffer through a bowl of boring oatmeal instead the pancakes that I really wanted.
Guilt finally set in and he handed over the other half of his biscuit which actually was quite yummy.
Addendum to Friday's post: I tried the low fat plain yogurt with vanilla extract, Grape Nuts and raspberries added to it this morning. If this doesn't perk up when I change the fruit to strawberries, yogurt is out. It really says something about it when Grape Nuts is the highlight.
3 comments:
Biscuits don't normally have sugar in them--at least not in the way I make them, which is the Southern Way... Haven't I done a post on making buscuits?
Cracker Barrel, faux-country...
That's why I can eat them. Big A gave up bread and I think biscuits may fall into that category so he was blatantly disregarding his 'do not eat' list. :-)
This Yankee doesn't put sugar in his biscuits either. Only flour, baking power, milk and butter. I tried giving up bread via the Atkins diet once. I'll never be stupid enough to do that again. By the end of the second month, I wanted nothing more than to buy a couple loaves of bread and cram them directly into my mouth. I would have better luck with your diet.
Post a Comment