
This past Saturday, Big A decided to cover two special occasions (her birthday and Mother's Day) by taking his mom to the Michigan Historical Museum located about 70 minutes away in our state capital. I had a Michigan History class in college which I found fascinating and where I learned that such a museum existed. A few years ago, Big A and I went there on our own for the first time and was adopted by an older gentleman that worked there who gave us a tour. He moved us quickly but it was very informative. On this day, there didn't seem to be very many helpers so we had the chance to leisurely stroll through it and because the MIL has questionable knees, strolling is the operative word.
As we were entering the city limits on the expressway, I felt my IQ dropping by about 100 points but we soldiered on (this is a joke for any MSU fans that read this) and we ended up getting off two exits too early due to this drop. I've never seen much of Lansing other than the previous visit and the time we picked up Hooch from the humane society but that was on the outskirts. On this morning, I got a firsthand view of the city. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary but I was able to take this picture which sums up Michigan as a whole:
The state capital building surrounded by road construction.Another highlight was driving by the hospital where the governor was recently for surgery for a "bowel obstruction". I heard on the news that they think this was caused by a head injury that she suffered 20 years ago in a car accident. Wha?
Below are more highlights and commentary from the trip:

My eyes lit up when I saw this section and I knew I had to take lots of pictures for Sage (even Big A made a mention of it).
********
I had to take this picture which shows the Confederates getting spanked by the Union. Big A loved this display not for what it represents but because tiny army men similar to what he paints was used.
********
I would have rallied around good ol' Abe. I can't wait for the movie to be released (currently scheduled for 2009) that has Liam Neeson playing Abe. Mmm...Liam and Abe...
Tomorrow's Part 2: More scenes from the road trip.
3 comments:
I've always felt that heaven probably has plenty of nice perfectly smooth roads and hell is where all the road construction signs end up eventually... for eternity.
Well, we may have gotten spanked in that battle, but we gave out a few whippin's too.
As for your MSU comments, I was at their graduate graduation this past weekend. One of the guys honored with an honorary doctorate said that he after having advance degrees from MIT and Cal Tech, he was glad to have a degree from a school with a real football team... It was kind of a subtle slap, but if had received the same honor in Ann Arbor, he could no longer say that!
It's a shame that Michigan was on the wrong side of the War of Northern Aggression.
Post a Comment