I hate them! Thankfully, my car only has three levels of intermittency before you reach low speed but if I had more, I would be on the constant quest to find just the right speed for the level of raindrops falling on my windshield. Judging the spray from the cars around you is the worst. Sometimes I give up the fight and then I look like the weirdo at the intersection with their wipers on low speed with a dry windshield. And then there are cars like the Chevy Impala that has about 10 intermittent adjustments before you finally hit the low speed. I think this only encourages people to pick one and never change it despite the fact that for 25 seconds, they can barely see out of their windshield.
The cell phone usage debate
I don't get it. Where was all this uproar back in the last 70's and 1980's regarding cigarette lighters in cars? Have you ever seen someone try to light a cigarette by one of those things? Their concentration, eyes and one hand are off the road for the same length of time as it would take to dial 10 phone numbers but yet no one complained even though lives were at stake.
Speaking of that time, while browsing through CafePress for an 80's t-shirt as part of my upcoming Halloween costume, I came across this shirt that took me back to those days immediately:

I always thought it was only us that called the third seat the 'way back'. I can see the turquoise Chevy station wagon and feel the hot black vinyl seats in the summertime now.
7 comments:
I hate when people are sitting at the intersection with their wipers still on but it's not raining!
I have 6 speeds and a "high". So I guess that makes 7.
Shan! - And when it's not a downpour, are you always adjusting it, trying to find the right speed?
Intermittent wipers are a blessing; but too many different settings can be a pain. I drive a van for work deliveries that I think has at least ten different intermittent settings. Too many choices. ;)
Rain-X is my secret weapon. It eliminates the use of slow windshield wiper speeds all together and I only use the highest two settings.
I remember riding in the "way back" seat which we called the "rumble seat" in a friends parent's car. I thought that was the coolest thing especially when the window was down.
thankfully, my parents never had a station wagon, but I do remember riding with friends and thinking it was pretty neat (and being told I couldn't hang my feet outside the window)
I was scrolling through the 80's shirts and I think they think that Goonies and Ferris Bueller's Day Off defined the decade. Couldn't they think of other movies? How about any of the Porkies movies or Risky Business?
Ooooh..Risky Business. Good point. Or for the chicks in the crowd, how about Breakfast Club or Pretty In Pink.
Post a Comment