Monday, October 15, 2007

Grayed out family members and the existence of God

* Last week in my 'Introduction to Mac Graphics' class, we had an interesting assignment - using the vector graphics program we were learning, we were to do our family tree using the various tools that Adobe Illustrator has to offer and designing faces for each person on the tree. Here's what I came up with:



To show people who have passed on, the instructor suggested doing it in grayscale, which I did. At about the third person, I was sick of grayscale and then realized that on the family tree that I chose to represent, I was the only one alive. What an odd feeling and I wonder if he will realize that when he grades this or if I should explain. To add some sort of color to it other than myself (which Big A says looks like a boy with earrings), I chose to do their faces, noses and ears in gray and use color for their eye color or some other thing about them that I remember such as my dad's black hair or my grandmother's horrific fuchsia lipstick or the butt chin's that both my father and I have. The bizarre thing is that I never knew my mother's father yet his caricature is most like what I remember from the pictures of him than of all the others. I didn't include my brothers on this picture to save time and not because I wanted to see what it's like to be an only child. Really.



* While perusing one of those old lady magazines (Good Housekeeping), I spotted an advertisement for this and ran out to buy some:

My favorite Girl Scout cookie not only in with ice cream but with "light" ice cream that tastes good?!? God does answer prayers.

5 comments:

Shan! said...

I'm excited to see your foray into vector graphics, however the image doesn't work!

Ed said...

Ditto Shan! on the image.

Good lord, my favorite cookie is now in ice cream form. I guess I'll have to stop by the store on the way home tonight.

sage said...

Ditto #2, graphic doesn't work.

As someone who has become an expert at Girl Scout cookies (thank God she's gone on to new ventures this year), I can't imagine how Samoas which have the most fat and calories of all those cookies, can be "lite" But I'm glad you found your ice cream!

Shan! said...

I think she's ignoring us.

Ed said...

I ditto Shan!s latest comment. :)