Sunday, September 30, 2007

Subconscious imagery thanks to Oprah or a good book

A Dream Sponsored by Oprah Winfrey: Ed, the Mrs. and Little Abbey happened to be on the same vacation as I was (and I think Big A was there but I can't quite remember). We were on one of those campgrounds that have individual cabins and it was a few miles from a large lake so we all hopped onto a bus that was going to take us to it. Prior to that, Ed was mentioning that Little Abbey was transgendered (i.e. a boy stuck in a girl's body). I know where this came from...Oprah had that as a topic of her show on Thursday or Friday that I caught a bit of but back to the dream. On this bus ride, I was seated near the front of the bus and Ed was further back. I looked behind me and spotted him in the aisle seat and he was sitting like how guys do (legs far apart) and he was wearing shorts so on his inside thigh, I could see a really ugly scar that sort of resembled the end of a pitchfork. But the confusing thing to me was why the insides of his thighs (and the rest of his legs for that matter) were hairless. I then turned back around in my seat, understanding where L.A. may have gotten the transgendered gene.

(Renewing the gym membership may be a really good thing for me mentally as well.)


Reading: Funny that Sage would have a blog post meme on books and reading because I just quietly ducked out of the book club at work this week. There was a commercial that I saw recently that featured a group of women in a book club. It scared me because I don't see myself as a) that old or b) that bored with life that a book club meeting is the highlight of my month. I've returned to 'normal' which is that no book should be that talked about or analyzed that much unless there is a grade involved.

My reading: There is one good thing that came about from the book club and that is that I've taken more chances on books than I would've done without it. I was never one to buy a book just because the synopsis on the back or the book reviews in People magazine made it sound interesting. Now I just might. I like any book that can keep my attention which is no small feat. I also like books that give me a 'light bulb moment', to use an Oprah quote, such as The Alchemist or one that is just a good ol' love story.

Total Number of Books Owned: I would guesstimate at 100. For me, it's all about quality, not quantity.

Last Book Bought: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Last Book Read: A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

Currently Reading: The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs

Five Meaningful Books:
1. Microserfs by Douglas Coupland because it was the first book I read from an author who writes using a sense of humor similar to mine.

2. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon because it made me realize that not all the books my mom read were lame.

3. The True Believer by Eric Hoffer because 50 years after writing it, it's still applicable and even more impressive, a few months after reading it, I'm still quoting from it.

4. My paperback editions of Nancy Drew. Whenever my dad went off on a business trip or his annual bowling team expedition to a far off bowling alley, he would bring one back for me.

5. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume because it was not Nancy Drew.

4 comments:

sage said...

As for the first half of your post, I'm not touching that but will check back tomorrow and see what Ed says. Also, I'd recommend you not eat whatever you eat before bedtime...

As for your books, is this your first Child's book your reading or did you read another? I still shake my head with that one--it's a good book, but then I like to hike in the desert.

Good to have you back (along as you don't dream about pitchfolks and me); I'd been wondering where you'd been hiding.

Ed said...

That is just plain creepy. What did I look like?

Murf said...

Sort of like a blondish Jerry Seinfeld - biggish eyes, a rather long, oval face, a long, narrow nose and you weren't a very smiley person. You were a decent looking fellow but rather run-of-the-mill...except for your shaved thighs. ;-)

Ed said...

Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)