Yet again this morning was a snowy drive in. On such occasions, I leave even earlier than normal since I have to drive through 3 different snowplowing jurisdictions and you never know what you might find. This morning, it looks like everyone was still asleep so it was 'make your own lane' morning.
One of the perks of leaving so early is that the lights are still blinking yellow and with very few other cars on the road with you, there is room to make a few mistakes if you get caught going to fast or not timing the lone red light correctly and you slide while braking.
Today's enjoyment consisted of being the one to make the judgement call on how wide the lanes are on a 5 lane snow covered road and you're on the inside lane, ahead of anyone else in the pack. It's a lot of pressure if you have multiple cars behind you as I did but I felt I could handle the pressure of judging where the left turn lane should be, how wide my car is and how wide the curbside lane is. The poor Honda Civic that we caught up to couldn't handle that pressure though. They tried and made a valiant effort before finally moving to the curbside lane and probably breathing a sigh of relief as I know I have on occasion when I wasn't feeling it.
So here's to you, Mr. Honda Civic driver who could've been a jerk and continued to drive down the middle of two lanes that were there somewhere under the inch of snow but chose not to.
10 comments:
Oh man, I can relate to this entire post! Both being the trailblazer... and being the Civic. Some days you can handle the pressure and some days you can't.
True dat! I think that needs to be cross-stiched onto a pillow, TC.
You have to have ice in your veins, like me, to drive a civic in a snowstorm. **Que the Top Gun Soundtrack**
Other than going uphill at a 45 degree angle, I never had too much of a problem when I had mine. Does that make me also a Top Gun-er or you a girl? :-)
I know we've gotten a lot more snow than normal, but it seems that this winter they are unable to keep up wtih the snow--and I know they're trying to cut plowing hours which means we've had more school closing... What time do you go to work, the lights go off blinking here before 7 AM
Bud Light presents Real Men Of Genius. Today we salute you, Mister Courteous Honda Civic snow driver.
Sing: "Mister courteous Honda Civic snow dri-vuhhhhh..."
Sage - On fair weather morns, I leave at 6 a.m. In not so fair weather, sometimes 5:45 a.m. The ones in my city stop blinking at about 6 so sometimes if I leave at 5:55, I squeak through....or just pretend they are still blinking since no one is out other than me and the prostitutes.
Bone - Thank you! I was waiting for someone to notice that. I have your last part in my head being sung in that really fast, high falsetto voice.
Oh cross stiching. My Mom used to.
I think more of us noticed it, but Bone's written an entire post on it before (not the Honda Civic, but the real men of genius thing), so I'm not surprised he brought it up.
I'd forgotten about the real men of genius jingle. They should really bring those commercials back.
I'd forgotten about the real men of genius jingle. They should really bring those commercials back.
Post a Comment