Today is the first Vegan Day of 2009. On the menu:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins and walnuts along with a highball glass of vanilla soy milk.
Lunch and snacks: 1/2 a grapefruit, a spinach salad with cucumbers and tomatoes and a soy yogurt with Grape Nuts.
Dinner: A coucous dish with sundried tomatoes, olives, pine nuts, parsley, oregano and some sauteed tofu (if all goes well with that).
Soy milk wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The texture is very similar to skim milk (i.e. watery). The offputting part of it was the vanilla taste. It's not bad but it is a red flag that I'm not drinking "real" milk. Perhaps I should've tried the plain first.
Yesterday, I started tonight's dinner by chopping up the olives, roasting the pine nuts. I've never worked with sundried tomatoes before so I'm not sure about that part of the couscous mixture. I added water to it and plumped them up as the recipe called for but to "finely chop" a sundried tomato is a bit of a challenge thanks to the tomato skin. Perhaps I should've gone with my usual kitchen implement for this: the kitchen shear.
The cooking of the tofu will be an experience. I've done a lot of research on this so while shopping over the weekend, I purchased the extra firm variety which is good to use for stir frys. I'm assuming from the varied responses to draining that I found on the internet that I do not need to drain this as thoroughly as you would a softer variety. I will probably not marinate it and instead just cook it in some olive oil and garlic and get it browned. I have no idea how this will go. This could get ugly.
4 comments:
What a nice idea! I had oatmeal this morning, but its fried chicken for lunch. My mouth just dosen't water for couscous and popcorn for supper. Wonder if cutting back on the meat and buying more tofu will save you money or break the bank? I live in Mississippi - Tofu is a delicacy. ;D
That's me that deleted! Cain't spell!
that actually sounds good--especially breakfast and lunch
Sun dried tomatoes are easily chopped with a few pulses in a food processor. Get the firm tofu and you don't have to worry about draining it so throughly. Just chunk it up and saute it with whatever else. Tofu absorbs the flavor of whatever you are cooking with it. Personally I would skip the pinenuts. Why anyone would eat something soft filled with hard gravel like objects solely for texture is beyond me.
Post a Comment