Last week, I decided to come out of the closet on Facebook: I edited my name to include my maiden one. Up until last week, I took great comfort in my new alias. Now, only the people that were truly friends (or Ed Abbey) knew who I was. For most of the high school friends and a few ex-boyfriends, the old me had just rode off into the sunset. This Facebook thing made me think that perhaps I should include it for people who may be missing the old me. That night, I was feeling adventurous and made the change.
Not long after I updated my name, I began getting all of these friend requests from high school people. Literally, I was just sitting at the computer one night, watching them roll in. I took it as a compliment and accepted them all. I'm still not exactly comfortable being so exposed so one day, the old me may go back into the vault like a Disney movie classic.
18 comments:
I keep thinking that someday, I will get a facebook account, at least one with my real name but I really haven't been attracted to cyber sleuthing old classmates or aquaintances. I prefer to keep my past in the past so that I can tailor it to suit my needs in the present.
I'm trying to decide if you were really brave that night or really stupid.
So far, I don't have any ex-girlfriends on my facebook page--but I have seen a few in the friend lists of friends! As for your middle name, is it the type of name that can be pronounced?
Ed - I know at least one great story from your past that would make a great story even now.
TC - Yeah, I'm still undecided on that too.
Sage - Us Yankees can pronounce it (somewhat). You Southerners would really have a problem, I think. :-)
I'm coming to you for backup: My wife is married to an engineer and thinks her husband the most practical, handy, knowledgable person there is.
That's what Ed wrote on my blog. I'm counting on you to help me dress him down a bit. I tried, but the truth is, you know way more than I do. Sometimes, you gotta call in the pros. You're a pro.
I'm being double teamed! Bring it on, I can dish it back just as good. Just ask Murf about the picture of "myself" that I sent to her.
Murf probably didn't tell you yet that I'm a internet sleuth and love to discover people's real identities. Your's took me all of about ten minutes TC or should I say AA. ;)
Now I'm scared.
Not that you know, but that other freaks out there can probably figure it out very fast.
I guess the only good news I have is that I've googled myself, and none of the things that come up are actually about me :)
Oh no, TC. You should be scared. Ed is one of those freaks.
Don't believe Murf. I'm just your normal guy using a false identity. ;)
This must be how Kramer felt when everyone found out his first name was Cosmo.
Ed: You didn't help redeem yourself with that comment!
Bone: At least I have a very boring, very common first name. VERY common. So common that I can walk into a room full of women roughly my same age and never be the only one with that name. (Though why I'm saying this, I don't know. You already know my name.)
Murf: How do I protect myself now?!?!
TC - I hate to tell you this but the situation is now hopeless. Once Ed sniffs you out, it's too late. He seems relatively harmless but that could be because I know the real him other than what he looks like which I am still somewhat intrigued by every so often. I did make it a New Year's Resolution to meet him so if you aren't doing anything, come along. It should be fun.
'Eh, I just want him to tell me how to cover my tracks so no one ELSE will find me :)
He sounds like a harmless enough stalker to have.
So TC doesn't stand for Tinkerbell Clodhopper?
I'm dumbfounded.
Uh oh.
I can see that someone's been telling Bone he's funny again. WHEN will you learn those Hooters' waitresses will say anything to get your money?!?! Sigh.
Bone goes to Hooters?!? Next thing you'll tell me is that there is no Santa.
'Eh, I was just trying to be funny. Hooters' waitresses seemed like a logical choice. Sorry if I freaked you out.
OK, stop commenting on this post, TC. This is causing me to break my rule of only reading the latest three posts.
Post a Comment